Greenflies on lettuce

• 4 Replies

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
Greenflies on lettuce
« on: May 30, 2011, 22:23 »
I am seeing increasing numbers of greenflies / aphids on my iceberg lettuce which I have been growing in the garden this year. I've just been washing them off (very well) and eating the lettuce anyway, so a couple of questions....I assume this is OK ?(the leaves have been reasonably unmarked so far)  And how to stop them getting on there in the first place...presumably a cloche or something?

I tried spraying with a weak soap solution, but it didnt make any difference...maybe too diluted...

compostqueen

Re: Greenflies on lettuce
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 22:36 »
Yes, I've got some on mine and yet I've not had them previously. It's my Romaines that are affected. I just washed them off before I ate them and I didn't notice any damage.  It's rained heavily today so hopefully it will have washed them all away  :)

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 23:17 »
You can spray them. Things like Bug Off only need a day before you can eat your lettuces. Organic oil sprays and soap solutions are the alternative. These are all contact sprays and will not get the ones tucked away inside.

You should encourage predators such as ground beetles, ladybirds, spiders and hoverflies by leaving your paths and boundaries a bit untidy and planting a few nectar plants. Compost bins and their surrounds are usually good habitat.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 23:52 »
When the sun's off and the hose is on try a steady stream of water onto the lettuce plants when you water them. If nothing else it will dislodge a few of them.

Covering with cloches creates the ideal environment for them as there's no wind and its warm so I don't think that would help.

Soapy water spray (more than once) discourages them so give it another go. You may find ants are helping spread them too.  >:(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:48 »
Thanks for the replies. I will get my girls on a ladybird hunt today and see if that helps.

Some of them were being attended by the odd ant or two.

xx
Aubergine greenflies

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 17:49
by mumofstig
xx
lettuce?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 10:10
by Aidy
xx
Cos Lettuce

Started by lincspoacher on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 21:27
by matron
xx
What To Do With This Lettuce??

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 11:17
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 30 queries.