Courgette problem - leaves

• 7 Replies

milan

Courgette problem - leaves
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:54 »
hi everyone

first year growing things and i really like courgettes so hubby and i thought we would give it a go....

not doing very well, only had one courgette and all our leaves look like they are dying. its still producing flowers but no courgettes (and some new baby leaves)

photo attached

whats the problem? not enough water? wrong plant food? too much water? etc etc

thanks everyone for any help  :)
courgette.jpg

johnwoots

Re: Courgette problem - leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 13:16 »
it is also my first year of growing them and mine have flurished! I have grown green and yellow ones and  i have been told that coujettes need male and female flowers for proper fertilisation, so maybe the fact you only have one plant which is a little unhealthy is the reason for your lack of crop?maybe some one else can confirm this!

i havent watered mine alot as they have been doing so well on there own, so i cant help you with the leaves.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 13:26 »
Looks like a bit of sun scald to me.  Do you water from above or just around the stem?  As for the courgettes, do you know if you have male and female flowers?  The female ones have a tiny courgette behind them.  Both need to be in flower at the same time, so keep an eye on them and fertilise them yourself with the male flower.  Once they get going there is no stopping them.
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 13:27 »
You can easily grow courgettes with just 1 plant :) They do have male and female flowers, but sometimes they are a bit out of sync but they will be fine :)

Your plant looks very close to......is it sweetcorn? Perhaps it just needs a good feed, as courgettes and sweetcorn are both heavy feeders.

milan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 13:42 »
we had been watering from above but i wondered if it was sunscald so i have just watered the base for about the last week

previously ALL the leaves looked like that so we cut them off (?? :ohmy:) and i hoped seeing as teh weather had cooled down taht the new leaves would come through lovely and green - which they did to start with but have now turned as in the picture

youre quite right they are very close to sweetcorn (first year - we just planted things where we had gaps!  :ohmy:)

is tomato food ok for them? once a week, once a day - im such a novice LOL

thanks  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 13:51 »
Mine get tomato food once a week.

milan

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 13:59 »
hmmmm, well ive done that maybe for the last two weeks now and with the cooler temps i would have thought they should be doing better?

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 17:04 »
Is it my imagination, or do the leaves look a little pinky/purple? If so it could be nitrogen deficiency, especially if you have a light soil. Try giving it a high nitrogen feed like dried blood or sulphate of ammonia.

xx
Courgette Leaves Problem....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 18:33
by Yorkie
xx
Courgette leaves - problem?

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 20:53
by PennyS
xx
Courgette leaves

Started by GaryPaula on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 09:12
by stompy
xx
courgette leaves

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 21:26
by mollyblob

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 30 queries.