Lettuce: winter variety advice

• 8 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« on: November 28, 2008, 19:01 »
any body got the name of a mildew resistant lettuce for winter growing in greenhouse. Can only find a butterhead lettuce and i like crisp ones. was looking forward to supplying a mixed green salad as part of Christmas fare.

My endive/escarole is fine but had to pull out all lettuce despite leaving doors open unless frost forecast :cry:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 23:27 »
I am trying "all year round" but i dont think i will live long enough to harvest them :shock:  :D
always have a target
and an objective.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:49 »
I'll send this to GYO, rather than the chat forum.

More likely to be spotted by those with mucky hands!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:51 »
Don't grow over winter lettuce myself, but I think you're too late for Christmas, no matter what variety you sow.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 11:02 »
What about this one?  It's called Winter Gem and is available from T & M, Suttons and Dobies.

A specially bred Little Gem Cos for sowing from September to January and for growing in a unheated greenhouse or in a cold frame for overwinter production (not suitable for growing outdoors). Delicious small, crunchy, sweet hearts equal in taste to Little Gem, will be ready to harvest from January onwards, for use in winter salads.

Sow seeds into individual pots or a seedtray of a good quality seed compost, cover with 6mm (¼in) of compost or vermiculite, keep at a minimum of 15C (60F), until germination which takes 7-10 days.

Growing Instructions
 Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle to the greenhouse border, growbags or a coldframe about five weeks from sowing. Plant 20cm (8in) apart each way.

Keep greenhouse/coldframe well ventilated on bright days to allow adequate air circulation and to prevent the spread of fungal diseases.

You might get some small leaves before January if you sow some now  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 13:04 »
Thanks folks, knew it's really too late now for this year.

Just thought that someone somewhere must have come up with a mildew resistant one given how easily the lettuces seem to get it. :(

Hey ho if there isn't one I will only do the escarole and more corn salad next year. You live n learn.

Was just hoping...........

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 14:49 »
I've grown the mix from seeds of Italy which is everything resistant, Misticanza it's called. It's completely winter hardy

outdoorgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:15 »
We're growing Mizuna and Green oak leaf in the polytunnel, and can't harvest them fast enough atm!  We've also got some Vanoise on the go, but they are MUCH slower - they should be big enough for picking leaves by Christmas if we're lucky.

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47 »
Okay, it might be too late for a full size lettuce for Christmas but you might be able to get some very baby leaves (I've made sandwiches with the thinnings before now), AND there's loads of time to grow seed sprouts (alfalfa, adzuki, mustard cress and umpteen others that I can't think of at the moment) - a bit of green and packed with flavour to go with the turkey sandwich sowed a week (or possibly less, you'd have to check) before you need them  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Winter Lettuce,which variety?!

Started by Missie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 09:58
by mumofstig
xx
Winter Squash Variety

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 13, 2014, 18:15
by mumofstig
xx
winter lettuce

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 23:26
by compostqueen
xx
winter lettuce

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2017, 19:37
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 34 queries.