cats one rule for dogs one for cats

• 60 Replies

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
cats one rule for dogs one for cats
« on: March 30, 2014, 21:43 »
about four days ago had a cat crying etc near my bedroom window at five in the morning and seen a few squaring up to each other,  i dont have cats but was worried about them as they were making a right din and i know cats can fight for england. whent out in the day and seen a ginger cat  who was friendly with a cut face and mouth so asked the neighbour is she knew whos it was as she has cats. she said never seen it before but said it was enitre when she looked at  him. how can people be so callus as to let there pets wander round un neutured!, i have cats peeing and pooing in my garden but if my dogs did the same i would get a mouthfull and a visit from the council. he looked well fed ish but ive kept looking for him but no sign. i detest people who do things like that but it seems the cat owners get away with all sorts. about time something is done about cats and there owners instead of blaming and picking on dog owners >:(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: cats one rule for dogs one for cats
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 23:02 »
(Sensible, constructive replies only please! )

There are a number of ways to deter cats from using your garden, traacyken. 

A very quick google brought up this site:

http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/diy-cat-deterrents.htm

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:25 »
That's a very good point there traacy, we have got wardens around our place at the moment issuing £70 on the spot fines for people who genuinely don't see the dog make a mess (and would pick it up if they did).

Something should be brought In about cats especially when they go doing their business in the kids sand pits, and everywhere else.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:02 »
about four days ago had a cat crying etc near my bedroom window at five in the morning and seen a few squaring up to each other,  i dont have cats but was worried about them as they were making a right din and i know cats can fight for england. whent out in the day and seen a ginger cat  who was friendly with a cut face and mouth so asked the neighbour is she knew whos it was as she has cats. she said never seen it before but said it was enitre when she looked at  him. how can people be so callus as to let there pets wander round un neutured!, i have cats peeing and pooing in my garden but if my dogs did the same i would get a mouthfull and a visit from the council. he looked well fed ish but ive kept looking for him but no sign. i detest people who do things like that but it seems the cat owners get away with all sorts. about time something is done about cats and there owners instead of blaming and picking on dog owners >:(

Got to agree with you , i also posted on this forum (a long time ago) that it was about time cat owners were legally (as well as morally) responsible for the actions of their pets.
That post was deleted by a mod PDQ ! :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:16 »
Ok - I have four cats who I love to bits and yes - cats can be a real problem for others which I do appreciate. My reply to this, whilst trying not to be biased in any way is this: we live amongst farmland and have two occasional cat visitors and I've never found where they come from. You can get certain cats who leave their owner (if they had one in the first place) to spend their lives wandering from place to place being fed by all and sundry. I agree that neutering here is the right way to go (if you can find then catch them in the first place). Territorial invasions or mating competitions can sometimes result in the awful noises you hear and also injury to the unsuccessful one, and I'm afraid there is little you can do about it as that is the way they live, but see the next bit as to legislation for roaming cats. Currently, it seems that they are regarded as "semi-wild animals," and I believe they are difficult to train accordingly because they are not pack animals with one master that will follow his or her orders - i.e. - unfortunately they are a law unto themselves. To find any animal wee and poo in your garden and/or trashed plants isn't nice at all, have experienced it with my cats, could be a health hazard and I really sympathize here with you. All I can say is that any pet owner should take as much care as they can, not just for their pet's welfare, but to try whatever they can to prevent it from causing problems to their neighbours. I'm lucky in that my nearest neighbour is about three big fields away, but if I lived in a different area, would personally do everything I could to minimise it or help in any way I could, and hope I had neighbours that would appreciate my efforts.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:44 »
we have 6 cats at the moment (we have had up to 8 at times) All are rescues, as soon as we get them they are neutered (we got one un neutered ginger tom after we lost a cat and someone replied to our lost cat poster, it wasn't the cat we had lost, but had been living rough under the person who contacted us's van, so we took him in. Now as a general rule our cats are house cats - not allowed to wander (nearby main road) and even this boy who had lived rough didn't mind this (I fact more often than not he wouldn't go outside even if offered the opportunity (he had been there done that and didn't like it much) the others go out in the garden on long leads (generally we hook 2 together by a lead, and they cant cooperate enough to get over the 6 foot fences). so our cats don't cause a problem to anyone.
Legally though the situation is that Dogs are deemed to be the owners responsibility, whereas cats are more independent and the owners are not legally obliged to clear up after them. (it boils down to the right to roam that cats are allowed whereas dogs are not. - see this extract from cats and the law -
It is a commonly-held view that cats have a ‘right to roam’ wherever
they wish. This view is largely based upon the fact that certain
duties imposed upon the owners of dogs and livestock to keep
their animals under control (Road Traffic, Highways and Dangerous
Dogs Acts) do not apply to cat owners. The law in these respects
recognises that, by their nature, cats are less likely than some other
animals to cause injury to people or damage to property.
http://www.britishcatteries.co.uk/pdf/cp-catlaws.pdf
while this seems unfair to owners of cat sized dogs, it is the way the law is at the moment.
you may ask, are our cats happy? well they seem to be, the vets seem to think they are well looked after (read spoiled rotten) and they certainly don't seem to suffer from not being allowed to roam outside (indoor cats tend to live longer as our 22 year old cat can testify to)
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 13:22 »
My cat only comes out in the garden with me, and even then goes back inside if she needs to use the litter tray (Not the ones with the leeks in  :nowink: ) and yet she gets blamed for cat poo in next door's garden.
She doesn't bark at all hours like their dogs, though  :dry:

A few bad cat (and dog!) owners make things difficult for all the responsible ones  :(

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 14:06 »
not all dogs bark all the time mine dont but some do.some dogs get shut in a house most of the day on there own. its such a shame, i know there are loads of genuine cat owners its the ones who dont give a damn that get to me. maybe a run  built in the garden etc would be safe for the cats and stop them roaming and dong there buisness all over. the amount of times ive gone to put something in the bin and it reeks of cat wee is beyond a joke ! . my 2 yr old grandaughter and my 4 yr old play in the front garden as the back getts muddy so im on my guard looking for cat poo before i go out with them. i will have a look at that link aunt sally but it shouldnt be my job to do this stuff ive dogs and clean up there mess  x

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 15:45 »
I have 2 cats who generally  wander on mine and my 2 neighbour's garden but as they also have cats they do not complain.  I make sure there are plenty of areas for them to poo, have a litter tray inside which is what they tend to use anyway and keep them in at night to stop them hunting. I think I'm pretty considerate and responsible.
However one neighbour has 5 cats, she often spends 2 or 3 nights away each week and her garden is so overgrown that they all use mine as a toilet.  I must admit I get fed up with clearing it up and although she occasionally makes the effort she never seems to find the poos. So I do have sympathy but also don't feel all cats should be house cats as it can be very stressful for them. I don't know what the answer is though.
When it comes to spaying and neutering though I don't think any cat should be out unsupervised and  not neutered. It is totally irresponsible and encourages the spread of FIV and FLV.
Another neighbour has 3 dogs which bark incessantly. Another has 4 and is extremely responsible and considerate. Dogs or cats aside, it's the owners  who are usually to blame.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 15:57 »
I can't see anything being done about it, it's also a problem cat owners seem to be oblivious too, at home the cats either use the tray or their presence keeps other cats away from the garden and they only have 1 set of mess to deal with.

I had to remove 2 piles neatly laid on the front lawn overnight before cutting it this morning, but more worrying is that I can see spray marks up the front door  :( and you can certainly smell it, inside and out.  At the start of the year I ordered some coleus canina as my last hope but they've not arrived yet.   >:(  I've even tried leaving piles of dog mess out there to ward them off.

I have about a dozen of the locally moggy population visit me daily and it's impossible to keep them off everything.

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 17:47 »
Last night there was much howling and yowling going on outside in the olive grove at about 1am- at least our cats are inside at night.  None of the neighbours cats are sterilised, they all think we are mad getting our cats and dogs done- what a waste of money!!!

Pamela

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 18:43 »
somebody on another pet site said theyve a friend in australia who said people with cats over there are held responsible for there animals outside there own gardens, yards etc, and have to bear the cost of any damage etc they may cause. x

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 21:25 »
(Sensible, constructive replies only please! )

There are a number of ways to deter cats from using your garden, traacyken. 

A very quick google brought up this site:

http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/diy-cat-deterrents.htm

And none of them work. :( :mad:

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 21:35 »
somebody on another pet site said theyve a friend in australia who said people with cats over there are held responsible for there animals outside there own gardens, yards etc, and have to bear the cost of any damage etc they may cause. x

And if they find cats in wildlife preserves they make hats out of 'em ! :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 10:15 »
I suppose you think your very clever and funny 8doubles  ::)

The RSPB use CatWatch to protect their nesting sites.  They do work. I use them in my garden.

xx
House Pets - Dogs and Cats

Started by mrs bouquet on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2019, 19:29
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Cats and valerian

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post January 18, 2013, 07:06
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.