is this enough ventilation

• 5 Replies

Bogof

is this enough ventilation
« on: May 12, 2010, 18:41 »
Hello, my coop is 4ft x 4ft x 4ft I've got 8 hens and the roof is covered in oduline. i put weld mesh over the top before i put the roof on and this is my ventilation( I hope this makes sence) my question is, is this enough? can you have to much? the reason I ask is this morrning when I let the girls out it was a bit smelly in the house and it seemed warm in there, even though it was very cold outside. Help please
Buy One Get One Free.

goodegg

Re: is this enough ventilation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 19:06 »
im not surprised its smely and warm with eight hens in a fuor foot box

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 19:52 »
im not surprised its smely and warm with eight hens in a fuor foot box

Four foot square not four square foot. That's sixteen square feet, that's two square foot per bird, that's more than my big girls have, but they have a mesh floor and ventilation at the ridge, so oodles of ventilation.

If you are finding it warm and smelly when you open the coop, that's a pretty good sign that you need more ventilation.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Bogof

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 22:28 »
Any ideas how? It's a sloping roof so extra holes at highest point on the side? It's already open all along the front and back between the coragations of the odeline. 

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 22:50 »
Higher is generally better than lower. Needs to be protected from the rain.

I presume your roof slopes down to the back, so the easiest place is probably the top front. Top sides would be ok too, whichever is easier, really.
Sometimes you read, not to have panels of ventilation opposite each other, but as long as they are above the birds, I don't really see why not.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 23:34 »
That is one problem with the dark oduline.  It soaks up the heat from any sun we get.  My breeding shed does too, and really the ventilation of the undulations isn't enough. 

As my sheds are bigger they have bigger vents, but what Muntjac told me to do on one of my smaller houses, was to drill half inch holes along the topmost part of the house, so the chickens don't get a draft.  No larger than half an inch or mice can get in, but my Brian has also cut slits in some, then covered the slits with weldmesh to keep vermin out.

xx
Ventilation

Started by Aidy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 21:09
by Rubellite
xx
ventilation

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 09:20
by Selkie
xx
Ventilation

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 13:01
by Bubbles
xx
roofing and ventilation

Started by emu on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 17:27
by emu

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 35 queries.