Ventilation

• 12 Replies

Bubbles

Ventilation
« on: April 10, 2009, 15:14 »
I think I've just posted my topic to the wrong forum, what a complete beginner I am at all this!
Just to repeat what I asked the allotment people by mistake ...
My hen coop has no proper ventilation panel and there is no room above the chickens heads to put one in. At the moment its not hot enough to worry but will there be enough airflow coming up through the holes in the droppings boards? THere must be some gaps in the roof as it is leaking! (what you get for buying on line I suppose). Thanks for any advice.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 18:44 »
Lol bubbles ive just moved the duplicate here, Ill delete it now  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 19:03 »
Any chance of a coop photo bubbles so we can see the problem .

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 22:17 »
It sounds like you may have to make some repairs and modifications. :(

It is possible to add ventilation along the roofline if you're handy enough but as 8doubles says, we'll need to see it first.
You could maybe lower the perches a bit to give them some extra headroom if need be.

There's always a way round it ! :)

Rob 8)

Welcome to the Hen House btw ! :D

Bubbles

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:56 »
Thanks for your replies. I will try to send a pic - with the help of my computer literate family! It may take a few days! I have only had the girls a month and it is taking a lot of time getting everything just so and ironing out problems. But I am really grateful to this forum which is so helpful  :)

Bubbles

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 21:09 »
Hi here are some pics of my coop so you can give an opinion on ventilation. Many thanks!
SP_A3190.jpg
SP_A3191.jpg

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 21:43 »
I would go for 6 thirty mm holes along the centre of the board above the door with an angled board (like in a louvre door) fixed in front to stop rain driving in. If you hinge the louvre board at the top edge it will make the vent adjustable.
Hope this makes sense , perhaps someone with online drawing skills could paint it in.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 13:40 »
or replace the whole of the top board above the door with an angled piece.
so the rain wouldn't get in but the air would flow underneath.
almost like you're pulling the bottom of the board out...
from the side:               /|

you could also drill some large holes directly underneath the roof - as it overlaps, it should work (above the nest box and also on the run side of the coop)

Bubbles

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 13:47 »
Thanks for the advice. I think I will drill holes above the door as suggested (easiest). When the girls are settled right down they wont get a blast in their faces. By the way does anyone think the perch is too high? Only one gets on it willingly at night and I have to place the other two on, tho at least they stay there all night (three neat piles of poo as evidence in the morning!)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 14:07 »
Just to mention you have used chicken wire on the run. Chicken wire is not fox proof as a fox can chew through it.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 14:49 »
Thanks for the advice. I think I will drill holes above the door as suggested (easiest). When the girls are settled right down they wont get a blast in their faces. By the way does anyone think the perch is too high? Only one gets on it willingly at night and I have to place the other two on, tho at least they stay there all night (three neat piles of poo as evidence in the morning!)

The perch does look a little high for a small coop , Have just measured and my ones 280mm to the top.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 15:53 »
Just to mention you have used chicken wire on the run. Chicken wire is not fox proof as a fox can chew through it.

there's weldmesh on the small run that's attached to the house.

do they get free run of the area that's chicken wired, bubbles?

Bubbles

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 13:01 »
Hi yes there is weldmesh on the lower half of the run attached to the chicken wire  at the top. I have also buried some of the weldmesh under the ground. The girls are out in their run when I'm at home and free range when we are in the garden. Otherwise they stay in their small run

xx
Ventilation

Started by Aidy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 21:09
by Rubellite
xx
ventilation

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 09:20
by Selkie
xx
is this enough ventilation

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 23:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Extra ventilation...

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:44
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 38 queries.