Watering clay soil..

• 9 Replies

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
Watering clay soil..
« on: May 05, 2011, 19:15 »
I've got mainly stone, wrapped up in clay soil in my garden and i'm getting a little confused on how often I should water, we've had very little rain for weeks now so I've been watering all the fruit n veg that I have in planters, raised beds and in the ground, thinking it all must need watering but today I've been digging over a new veg bed and the top few inches were quite dry and dusty but a little further down it was still damp, should I be watering at all? don't want to over water my plants...

Trillium

Re: Watering clay soil..
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 19:24 »
That's the problem with clay - it can hold water where you least expect it. I'd not water regularly because you'd only get shallow moistening, which encourages shallow, weak roots. Better to water once every week or two and give it a good long slow watering that can go down deep where needed. Drip irrigation or soaker hoses are good for this, set on timers. If you don't have a bad slug problem, mulching with straw is very helpful in dry weather, especially clay which can crack - and then you know it's really dry.  :D

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 19:24 »
Clay soil will often be quite moist deeper down. You are far better watering extremely well at infrequent intervals rather than little and often. The water will penetrate deeper that way and that way the roots will go down to find the water and ultimately be stronger.

Pots need watering daily in this weather as you are their only source of water. I have for the last few year put in gel granules into my pots which help keep thing moist if you are ever unable to water for one day (just about)
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 19:30 »
Excellent, I'd rather not water daily anyway, what about newly transplanted plants and seeds? I'm trying direct sowing a few veg's this year...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 19:42 »
I'd keep a close eye on newly planted plants and seeds.  Neither will have deep roots to enable them to access the deeper water in the soil.  Whilst little daily watering isn't good, as others have said, they may need more frequent watering than well established plants need.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53 »
apart from peas which majority can be sown directly, i would grow other seeds in pots or trays to nurture the roots and grow them big enough to survive outside. done this with most of the things i have grown and everything looks quite positive.

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 13:45 »
lol, i ran out of little pots and trays because i'd used them all up on peas & sweet peas, thats how i've ended up direct sowing....

lesson learnt for next spring....

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 14:09 »
A trip to the poundland shop will do wonders for finding cheap pots  :D

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 15:42 »
Or ask neighbours if they have unwanted pots. You'd be surprised how many folk don't reuse them yet hate to throw them out.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 19:37 »
AS others have said "soak, relatively infrequently".  I water my veg once a week.

If in doubt dig a small hole with a trowel 6" deep or so. How dry is it down there?

xx
Clay soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:44
by subaru
xx
Clay Soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 12:19
by WebSiteEvo
xx
Clay soil

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 12:37
by al78
xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 39 queries.