green house heaters

• 8 Replies

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
green house heaters
« on: December 17, 2011, 19:40 »
are the electric fan heaters expensive to run  ie  all night on the lowest setting
 deak

AndyRVTR

Re: green house heaters
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 19:59 »
Alright Stan......... not if you have economy heating... I use a 'frostfighter' and it costs me less than a penny an hour between 23.45 - 07.30... any other time it costs 28p an hour... :)
Sorry, should have said... atm I only have it on 'frost' setting, kicks in at 5c  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 20:06 by AndyRVTR »

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 20:02 »
I don't find them too bad but it depends on the size of area you want to heat. Lining the greenhouse with bubblewrap makes a big difference, as does wiring the heater to an external thermostat. I have mine set at 7c and it only has to kick in every now and then, even during this cold spell.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:37 »
Yes, we've got a 2KW one, and frankly, I'm just not going to pay up to £50.00 a month this winter, although we're on Economy 7.

May put it on a time switch, and keep it at the temp I reckon is safe, it's well sheltered, and one end is nearly under a huge branch of an enormous yew tree, you'd be surprised at what a difference that makes.

We should really be putting more insulation in, but that's another £50.00 - it's quite a big greenhouse...

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:22 »
thanks for the replys i am going to get some bubble wrap today it looks as though it makes a big difference

stan 8)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 18:41 »
thanks for the replys i am going to get some bubble wrap today it looks as though it makes a big difference

stan 8)

Right decision Stan, and let us know how you do it - did it...!

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:11 »
Sorry... only in Swedish:
http://www.aeservice.nu/pdfer/frico_frostvakt_broschyr.pdf

An electrical fan is way too expensive to have running...

12V car-battery can be charged for a low cost and can supply enough to keep the temp above freezing.
Albert

smud6ie

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 13:01 »

12V car-battery can be charged for a low cost and can supply enough to keep the temp above freezing.

Unless the battery is charged by a hefty solar pv panel for free I can't see how that would work out cheaper.
Mains electric through heater is 100% efficient where as,through a charger there is a loss of efficiency.
Mind you, my poor old brain is suffering from wear and tear so may not be recalling things as it should ;)
Smud6ie

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 21:31 »
our greenhouse heater is solid fuel wood or coal stove with heated pipes that run under benches i  lit the fire as normal this morning as i was pot cleaning to keep me warm and heat up the greenhous i occasionally lite the heater in the winter when i am working in the greenhouse it was  burning well then disaster struck the sound of running water

the boiler had developed a leak on the inner skin there was a hissing noise and then the fire went out

it looks like i need to get a new metal skin welded in the fire box before we start the growing season its a job i can't do myself because its a bit of a profecianal job

its the best heater i have ever had it  had an inner skin replaced about ten years ago but nothing last for ever does it

that type of heat seems  the best for my seed raising i found electricity was to expensive got a lot of white fly with paraffin again calor gas a bit expensive to run all day better at night when the other boiler goes down i think all heating is going to be expensive with fuel prices as they are this year

xx
green house window

Started by massa on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 22:36
by Trikidiki
xx
cheapest green house

Started by veggies on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 19:37
by newatthis
xx
green house glass

Started by massa on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 23:02
by compostqueen
xx
4' x 6' green house owners a question

Started by starry on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 14:02
by starry

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.