heated propagators - best choices?

• 10 Replies

Kirpi

heated propagators - best choices?
« on: May 14, 2013, 21:00 »
I am in the market for a heated propagator and looking at the larger ones listed on eBay for around £30.00. Can anyone comment on these or recommend a better offer?

Auntiemogs

Re: heated propagators - best choices?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 00:56 »
Not sure about the bigger ones but I bought a couple of Garland heated windowsill propagators (one with 7 trays and one with 3) and they've been excellent.  I don't use the trays much as I start things off in cells and they will take 3x20 cells or 12x6 cells and I just balance the lids on top.  Also good for chitting seeds (beans squash etc.) but I put cardboard under the containers so that the seeds don't 'cook'.  Because they're on the windowsill it means I don't have to panic too much about potting on.
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07 »
I got one with one long compartment. I now wish that I'd got one with separate and smaller compartments for different seeds as it's a proper pain to fiddle about with all the time.

Hopefully the birthday fairy will bring me one of those Garland doodads with compartments this year.... :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:52 »
Not sure about the bigger ones but I bought a couple of Garland heated windowsill propagators (one with 7 trays and one with 3) and they've been excellent.  I don't use the trays much as I start things off in cells and they will take 3x20 cells or 12x6 cells and I just balance the lids on top.  Also good for chitting seeds (beans squash etc.) but I put cardboard under the containers so that the seeds don't 'cook'.  Because they're on the windowsill it means I don't have to panic too much about potting on.

that's the one!

I've had mine for 6 years now, good value I think  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 15:49 »
I got a 3 tray garland one - seems to have done the trick this spring...

I start off my seeds in small pots rather than directly in the trays provided, but I found 6 of the small square 7cm pots from Wilkos fitted nicely into one of the trays provided and the lid fitted on the top.

I also found that a 3 tray one was enough for my needs, I just started off my chillis, peppers and tomatoes off in it using the heat.  Using pots has the advanatage that you can move the pots out once germinated and replace as necessary (although you can buy spare trays but quite costly).

I was luck as I picked one up in the sale at the end of last year for just £10.

Hannah :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 17:56 »
I tend to plant into full size seed trays (which have cells in them) so use a heated propagator which is that size.  Can't remember the brand but it wouldn't have been expensive.

It's been going for years now, wish I had a second one.

I've also got a windowsill propagator which takes two half seed trays, lengthways.  I find it slightly less versatile than the bigger one.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 23:42 »
I bought one of them really expensive greenhouse sensation ones and I love it. Worth every penny.
Kind Regards
Bill

Stree

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 16:00 »
Heated cable and thermostat, bag or two of silver sand, basic wooden base and frame, something for a clear lid and you have a fantastic cheap heated propagator.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 16:07 »
but that wouldn't fit on my window ledge  :unsure:  :lol:

Stree

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 16:49 »
Get a bigger windowledge.....Which comes first. being a gardener or being conventional?

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 18:06 »

Oh hello Auntie M, fancy meeting you here!  I was having an internet browse about heated propagators and ended up here again!  :lol: :lol: :lol:. I was looking at the very same garland propagator as you've got and thought why on earth would you want separate trays?  Looks a bit of a faff.  Now I realise its for different seeds/veg/flowers  ::) doh!  It was at about 4am this morning though!  I shall be ordering one after the bank hols. 

xx
Heated Propagators

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 16:07
by wil4025
clip
Vitopod Heated Propagators

Started by luke34 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2016, 07:35
by Robster
xx
B&Q heated propagators Recall Notice

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 09:09
by Willow_Warren
xx
mantis choices

Started by Offwego on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 13:42
by Snoop

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 39 queries.