DIY onion sets?

• 12 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
DIY onion sets?
« on: July 06, 2015, 16:24 »
Just watched a Youtube video - growing your own onion sets.  That is to say, plant seeds in trays, stop growth after three months and - voila - onion sets ready to go in at Springtime.  The one thing that wasn't mentioned in the vid was when he actually planted the seed. Could I start them off now? Anyone tried this? All seemed a bit deceptively simple. Is it?   ;)
Carpe Diem

simonwatson

Re: DIY onion sets?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 16:39 »
I certainly don't see why you couldn't start them now. However, if you're going to the effort of making onion sets, why not just grow the onions from seed? The big risk with onion sets is bolting, as onions have a two year life-cycle, flowering in the second year.

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 16:45 »
Thanks for that Simon - and having asked the question - I then did some research and found a variety called Early Paris White which is supposed to be very cold hardy. Plant in Aug, transplant in Oct - job done! I'm a bit new to this onion milarky - always thought sets were the way to go - but I got me an allotment now, so no rush.  :D

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 17:02 »
When I first got an allotment I grew sets, they are much easier, but they often bolted, especially the red ones. I tried heat treated ones. They don't bolt, but they're a bit slower to get away and the varieties are very limited.

The last couple of years I've grown from seeds. I even grew some Senshyu onions last/this year and they're already huge. The onions from seed are a bit behind, as would be expected, but they're also going great guns.

There's definitely nothing wrong with using onions sets, many people do and are very happy with the results. They're a great way to get an onion crop without having to fiddle about with thinning or transplanting. The advantage of seed is greater resistance to bolting and more variety.

Do what you're comfortable with, enjoy it, you'll get onions no matter what (probably  :) )

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 17:25 »
Brilliant - thanks again Simon. Have looked up your Senshyu onions - they look fab! Are there any other good overwintering that you  - or anyone else - can suggest? We live in the South West and have been known to have a mild winter here and there! Oohh - what fun this all is.... :D :D :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 17:35 »
Thanks for that Simon - and having asked the question - I then did some research and found a variety called Early Paris White which is supposed to be very cold hardy. Plant in Aug, transplant in Oct - job done! I'm a bit new to this onion milarky - always thought sets were the way to go - but I got me an allotment now, so no rush.  :D

If you are transplanting them and growing them on, then they're just overwintering onions, they have to dry out and be replanted to be called sets, but it is much easier   :D

Sturon also overwinters from an August sowing.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 18:54 »
Does anyone know if sets or seeds are more resistant to leaf miner? I have lost my crop to them for the past 2 years  :mad:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 18:56 »
They're all onions, so get attacked just the same  :(

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 19:07 »
Leaf Miner now, is it? Not another beastie! I'm certainly learning fast with my allotment that I've had for 36 days!! Seems like there's a beastie for everything out there. I've barely recovered from blackfly...well, not me personally, you understand!    :ohmy:

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 20:33 »
Good advice about bolting, some of my overwintering onions have gone mad this year trying to flower. The other batch, bought from a different retailer have been pretty good in comparison and the onions are fattening up lovely ready to lift soon. 😊

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 20:38 »
They're all onions, so get attacked just the same  :(

:( I suspected as much - it was wishful thinking

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 20:39 »
These Senshyu onions were overwintered and harvested last month
2015-06-15 Over Wintered Onions Harvest.jpg
2015-06-11 More Onions Drying.jpg

LilacSandy

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:25 »
I have three types this year, I overwintered sets which I pulled last month and this for eating now.  I put in another load of sets in early spring for storing, and I have tried Bedfordshire Champion from seed to compare.  All looking good so far.

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion Sets - Bin or not bin

Started by Rexmundi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 15:18
by Trillium
xx
Red onion sets

Started by Paul 26b on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 03, 2016, 08:11
by Trikidiki
xx
onion sets

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 15:21
by Dan

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 40 queries.