Keeping Hens Feet Clean

• 14 Replies

nobby400

Keeping Hens Feet Clean
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:35 »
Our Hens keep getting mud balls on their feet which are a pain to get off.  Is there a solution to stop this happening?

evie2

Re: Keeping Hens Feet Clean
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:09 »
You could try putting a Hemcore type product in their run, it worked for our Sabelpoots the first winter we had them.  Now they free range they're fine.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

nobby400

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 18:13 »
we use hempcore in their run also but still get the mud buttons

evie2

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 20:28 »
What breed do you keep Nobby?

grinling

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 20:53 »
I use straw, lots and lots of straw. If dried on I use some warm water on my fingers and gradually scrap away (chook on lap). I would not want to wet them in this weather though.
Best way to stop it is too cover the run area in a plastic sheet or two and a roof.

Flossiej

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 21:38 »
I've used chopped straw as well and this really helps to keep the mud down. We have a run covered with a tarp but still gets wet. The straw keeps their feet dry and also adds some amusement to their day as they love scratching and flicking it around. Hours of fun for a couple of quid!
One husband, three teenage sons, one completely blonde dog, two scatty cats, five nutty chooks and an uninvited mole!

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 23:26 »
Hemcore, straw, Aubiose all keep their feet dry and then that keeps their house cleaner as well

I used to buy straw bales for mine, to make winter shelters for them, which they loved  :)  they could hide under or sit on top and rummage about in  :)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:09 »
Sometimes vaseline is used to stop mud and snow packing up inside horses hooves, it may work for hens feet :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nobby400

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 14:42 »
We have 4 Black Rocks in a 15 by 6 foot run that's a flag base with Hempcore as bedding.  The run is covered with Polly tunnel plastic and 2 sides are boarded to keep the weather out and some noise down (miserable neighbour)

Its odd that some don't get mud balls but once they have started they only get worse.  Not a great problem getting them off with a sharp knife and a pair of side cutter pliers. 

Just thought there might be some trick we have missed.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 19:24 »
Shame about the miserable neighbour, all our neighbours love our girls and come into visit them. They also buy our surplus eggs. So the hens are self sufficient. We often have a waiting list for the eggs.

We put down loads of straw for our girls and during the winter put paving slabs down where the run is open to the weather. There is a tarp covered area to the back for them to scratch in the dirt under the straw. We have never had a problem with dirt balls on toes until this year when Granny had an enormous one. We soaked it off her but she got another one pretty quickly. I think it might be that she has got longer toe nails than the other girls. Might clip her toenails if she keeps getting them. She looked so uncomfortable walking around with it on her foot!

nobby400

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 14:06 »
SHe moans about everything.  She had a pop oneday about our recycle bin only having a few plastic milk bottles and some empty Tomato tins.  She has about 6 full of stuff and couldnt understand it's greener not to buy the stuff in the first place and make your own meals.  I won't tell you her re-action when I said my Land Rover is greener than her little eco car !!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 15:08 »
How the hell would she know what you have in your recycle bin? Does she go and inspect all the bins?

Seems we are dead lucky with our neighbours. We are in a little side road near Epping Forest. We have a residents asociation (thought that was really posh when we moved here 7 years ago) and there is a real community feeling. We all look out for each other, especially the older residents.

Don't think we are the only people in the area with chickens either. Never have to worry about going on holiday, and who will look after the girls if my son goes away at the same time. Free eggs are a great draw!

Our allotment is only 5 minutes walk from us as well.

Have you tried tongue in cheek, overpoliteness to your narky neighbour. I have a friend who is brilliant at that. She always says she can be so much ruder by being overpolite with a beaming smile on her face.

Feel for you. NArky neighbours are a pain!

evie2

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 18:04 »
We have a new neighbour, in 3 months he's made no friends.  I tried being polite, OH tried dry humour, Eils used her cutting sarcasm, Ali had to be held back from having 'a quiet word' with him and wee Evie called him a 'not very nice man' to his face (remember she's only 3) ???  In the end I used good old fashioned honestly.  As my old mum would say, 'she didn't miss him and hit the wall, she put his gas at a peep'  :mad: 

He's been much nicer to folk since :D

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 00:11 »
A word of warning about hempcore after using it for a couple of years happily the last batch was a problem.
Others had the same problem
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88315.0
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

nobby400

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:53 »
Lazydog

Thanks for that link.  Looks like we arn't the only ones then. 

xx
Keeping run clean

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 17:30
by nicky d
xx
Keeping the run clean

Started by Springlands on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 23:22
by Lindeggs
xx
Keeping the run dry, chickens clean?

Started by Totty on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 18:52
by Totty
xx
Keeping Water Clean

Started by garddwr on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 17:57
by garddwr

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 39 queries.