Composting

• 12 Replies

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
Composting
« on: September 17, 2009, 18:35 »
I have an option to make a compost bin out of some 3x2 timber, is this the best way of composting as some people seem to do it without any bin at all ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Composting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 18:55 »
IMO It does work quicker if it's contained neatly, rather than just in a random pile. Plus it takes up less room...........downside is that it's a bit more work if you want to turn it..........but personally i never bother with that, cos i'm lazy :lol:

tode

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 19:10 »
Takes up a bit more space, but I make a pile on the ground, so I can turn it once or twice, and then bung it in a bin to mature.
What counts most is just making the compost  :)

Christine

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 19:57 »
I've got tall hedges all round the allotment and previous gardeners had used the area under two weather-ward hedges for compost heaps without containing so that it was easy to get to the hedges to clip them.

So I've got last year's compost heap in use for marrows and courgettes - when moved onto beds over winter, it will be replaced by the next compost heap that was started in spring for the same crops next spring and the third one will be turned so that it's ready to move about this time next year for use as a marrow and courgette bed. the ones not in use are kept under black plastic to help the heating up process.

That's the way it works best for me. It means that I've used areas that would otherwise be lost to gardening as hawthorn hedges don't encourage much growth in the area near their feet.

It all depends on your site doesn't it as to what you do?

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:57 »
We have four bins made out of reinforced pallets, bolted together, twenty foot long ---  We fill the first bin - the biggest and the only one kept open to the elements - then turn it into second, then third, back to second, third again and finally push it through a stout wooden framed riddle (to get out sticks and stones) into fourth bin. (thats the idea anyway) --- I tried to put a picture up but this machine won't let me.

If turning is done every 4-5 days, you can keep the heat up into the 60's and then it is possible to get a good finished compost inside a month, - you could call it hard work - but it's very satisfying. Its all to do with keeping the aerobic (thermophilic) bacteria that work at the high temperature going. You of course need a lot of raw material.

Sorry if that makes me sound a bit toffy but I was employed in someones (very large) garden twice a week many years ago where I first did it. I followed advice in Dick Kitto's book: Composting.

davethespread

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 15:00 »
can i put vermiculite in with my compost.ie;would it do any good or harm,only i have got half a bag left over from some insulating i done.
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

noshed

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 15:12 »
I stand in awe superpete. A pic would be good - especially the construction of your riddle - I haven't had any success making one out of netting wire.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 16:44 »
Wow superpete! Wish I had time and strength to turn the compost every 4 or 5 days! I've got about 5 tons of it this time of year!! Mine is held in 6 1-ton sand bags from the builder's yard and is mostly worked for me by the worms. They do a great job!  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 16:56 »
can i put vermiculite in with my compost.ie;would it do any good or harm,only i have got half a bag left over from some insulating i done.

While they are basically the same material from the same source, one is finer, the other is coarser. Not a lot of difference to a gardener. But, as you're basically in Europe, a lot of products come from Africa which may possibly contain asbestos. Without specific analysis or listing of ingredients its a potential risk you shouldn't ignore.

Here's a link to the same question but with more info:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/index.php/General/is-vermiculite-safe-to-use.html

davethespread

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 18:02 »
thanks trillium probably safer not to put it in then.

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 20:56 »
you can see Noshed that the riddle is made quite simply with 1" weld-mesh tacked with U nails onto stout timber - we dump 2-3 fork fulls on it, push it through with back of fork and flick the few stones and sticks over the back. We are really too busy to do it as regularly as I suggest now ... but I did used to do it way back (when I was getting paid for it) ... finished inside a month.
DSCF0154.JPG
DSCF0169.JPG
DSCF0175.JPG

tode

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 21:00 »
That's a very professional-looking setup Superpete !
Do you make leaf mould as well ?

noshed

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 11:19 »
Thanks for the pics - now to find a small bit of weldmesh...

xx
Composting

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 08:38
by cadalot
xx
New To Composting

Started by jdf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 20:05
by bigben
xx
Composting

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 05, 2020, 12:09
by ches
xx
composting

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 18:14
by Trillium

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 37 queries.