Composting

• 8 Replies

Footy Man

Composting
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:00 »
Good morning all.
Can you give me your views on adding citrus fruit peel to the compost heap please?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Composting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:09 »
I do and it seems fine.  If you have loads and loads, then it may upset the balance, but the odd orange or lemon skin just disappears into the mix  :)

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 18:57 »
My wife and myself get through 3 or four oranges per day, and I have been putting the peel on the compost heap for over 50 years. As New shoot says, it just mixes in with everything else.

I compost lots of other things that we are often warned not to, this includes potato peelings, potato haulm, old tomato plants and rhubarb leaves. If there are no signs of obvious disease then it all goes on the heap.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 20:02 »
Yep same here almost everything goes in here too, tea bags,coffee grounds, twiggy bits. Anything not broken down when I dig it out get chucked back in.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 20:24 »
I must admit I thought that orange and lemon peel weren't okay for the compost heap ,consequently didn't add it.

Apparently , worms are not that keen on it , until it has started to rot down, fussy things!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 20:42 »
I've always put the few orange peels etc. we eat in the veg peelings bin but have been quite conscious this winter of eating more citrus fruit and wondering about how much is too much!  another option might be

"Citrus Peel as an attraction for slugs and snails...... Another alternative is to put something down that will actively attract snails and slugs, if you make freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit juice then the remaining peel shells are very attractive to snails. Once again place them next to places in the garden or vegetable plot where there are signs of infestation, a couple of hours after dark, or at sun rise in the morning check them out and remove the offenders."

Footy Man

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 21:37 »
Good morning all.
Can you give me your views on adding citrus fruit peel to the compost heap please?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:35 »
Good morning all.

Anything that can rot down goes in our bins. If citrus peel attracts slugs, then no worries as they contribute to the composting process through digestion
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 11:22 »
Large quantities of citrus peel (and onion skins) aren't recommended for wormeries, but you're making compost rather than creating a wormery - all my vegetable kitchen waste goes in the dalek near my kitchen, and it still seems to have plenty of worms in it even if some of their diet isn't quite what they would ideally wish for.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
composting

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 22, 2006, 15:09
by tomato-joy
xx
Composting

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 11:47
by BabyStar
xx
Composting

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 21:19
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
composting

Started by Iain j on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 18:21
by Ivor Backache

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.