Something's Invaded My Sprouts and Purple Sprouting!

• 6 Replies

Floody

• Sensible Mole
Something's Invaded My Sprouts and Purple Sprouting!
« on: September 21, 2014, 13:01 »
Never grown these two crops before but they have both been under fine mesh netting ever since I planted them... BUT I have an infestation.  There must be millions of the things... every time I touch a leaf a small flurry of white, almost luminous (quite pretty, actually  :blush: ) flying things take to the air before landing back down on the leaves.  There are patches on the leaves everywhere which I presume are the eggs.

Does anyone know what they are?  Also, how could I have prevented their arrival and now they are here, does this mean my sprouts and purple sprouting will be wiped out?  Is there any treatment, bearing in mind I'm reluctant to spray chemicals on there?

I'm attaching photos and, as usual, many thanks for your advice.

Floody
sprout invasion.JPG
sprout invasion (2).JPG
sprout invasion (3).JPG

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Something's Invaded My Sprouts and Purple Sprouting!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 15:54 »
Well you definitely have whitefly there - not sure if the buggy stuff is what they grow from or whether you have a mealy bug infestation too. :unsure:

Whitefly can be kept away by underplanting all brassicas with marigolds and using enviromesh.

You can use washing up liquid spray or organic bug spray to treat - you don't have to use pesticides as such.
I don't think the whitefly (or haven't seen them) do any actual damage - they just kind of sit there -wheter they suck sap from the plant - I'm never sure :unsure:

Hope that helps a little :)

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 16:31 »
Difficult to tell from the photos but they sure look grey and that means mealy aphids on the leaves. Maybe there's a few whitefly on the net as well. ... I've had some mealy aphids appear on my PSB this week, and a few weeks ago on my sprouts. No matter, the same treatment as DBG said, still applies.
The best way to avoid big infestations is spray the early arrivals, and keep doing it a few times. They soon get the message. A nice strong well directed jet from the hose is also a good answer. I'm sure PSB and sprouts positively like the strong fresh jets of water.
If you don't get rid of them, they will cause your plants harm by smothering the new growth. They are fairly easy to get rid of, then look out for new starting colonies and do the same. Mealy aphids tend to arrive in numbers a lot quicker than the whitefly who often take a couple of weeks to really get any numbers settling on the underside of leafes. The larger plants recover quite quickly as if nothing happened.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 16:47 by beesrus »

Floody

• Sensible Mole
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 18:34 »
Thanks for the advice and tips. 

If I'm making up a washing up liquid spray, what proportion of washing up liquid to water should I use?  And after a Google I read that I should use something plant based such as Ecover... would you agree?

Like the idea of a jet of water but sadly no hose pipes allowed on my lotty!

Floody

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 19:22 »
I don't know exactly but the soap makes the bugs slip off or suffocates them - so just  couple of squirts of soap to a litre of water will do the job ;) :)

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 19:39 »
Vegetable soap is good.  A few shavings in hot water, let it cool and then decant into your sprayer.  The soap does suffocate the whitefly, and you do need to do it virtually everyday.  We can't use hosepipes either, except for filling water butts.  It's amazing how the pipe can get stuck near infested brassicas, just long enough to blast them off if you already have a severe problem  ;)

Floody

• Sensible Mole
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 20:49 »
Thanks for the replies.  The hosepipe isn't an option and I just can't find the time to go to the lotty every day.  Think I'll let 'em have a free rein this year and try to catch 'em early next year...    ::)

xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
purple carrots & purple sprouts

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 19:30
by mashbintater
xx
purple sprouting

Started by andymarginman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 20:31
by Muls

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 36 queries.