hi,have a look please

• 14 Replies

lee-d

hi,have a look please
« on: February 25, 2013, 20:34 »
hello,ive just become the owner of my first 3 chickens french copper black's 5 days ago,which are just coming up to be ready to lay or so im told !!!! by the girl i got them off,,when i first phoned her from the advert, she was saying they come from show birds and hers are great stock etc etc etc,,and i told her im just a new chicken owner and i was looking to buy french copper blacks ,and because my coop is ready and they sound such a quality and healthy stock they would be great to start with,she dropped them off and i said there very big and look old and she said no there only 4 months ,and with them flying round etc i put them in the coop and paid her,when she left i saw there legs and feet had really really  bad scales and crust all 3 birds and toes missing,i phoned her and she just said they dont,(cow) but they do its bad scaley leg and also they have bumble foot lumps me and my wife have spent the day cleaning there feet and using surgical spirit,then Vaseline also before we did this we noticed, one wont eat much and has ,bad diorea, so
ive made a mix up of epsom salt and yogurt with some oats in for this,,but im upset because i like these birds now and ive tought them how to climb the lader into there coop and spent all my days with them,and they are nice but they are not what she said and im sure they are old stock ,but as im a new chicken keeper im not sure if they are young or old ,but they look old and  there feet look bad,,its just im worried ill get no eggs now,and ive paid high price for them,she saw me coming ! like a fool..but i dont have room for anymore and i cant afford to replace them as this would then start to cost way to much with all the other things ive bought like wood coop,feeders etc,should i just make do with some old birds ,im finding hard to tell there age i just know there not laying any eggs?,,

what do you think thanks lee
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 20:37 by lee-d »

yaxley

Re: hi,have a look please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 20:54 »
Hello when you bought them was they advertised as being a certain age ? where did you find the advert was it gumtree or preloved ? if it was think you can report her they will stop her selling on there ..You should always try to visit the sellars house to see what the birds are housed like and always ask for the age of them so many dishonest people out there such a shame as you have spent so much time getting there housing sorted and there feeders good luck with getting something sorted and hope somone on here can give you more advise about the birds ...
Grow organic as nature intended

splash101

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 22:33 »
I'm sorry that your first chicken experience has turned out like this.

Have you kept the advert or have her name and address or phone number, it might be handy if you wish to pursue anything further (please don't post it on here but keep it if you have it).
There really are some unscrupulous people about, and no doubt because you mentioned you were new to chickens, she has tried to pull a fast one.

If you havent already done so, worm them with Flubenvet 1%.
Check them over thoroughly for any other mites, lice etc. You may have to treat them with something for that as well (more expense i know but worth doing)
Carry on with the vaseline.

I have no experience with bumble foot so hopefully someone else can help you with that.

With regards to them not laying, if they really are only 4 months old they wont be laying for a few weeks yet and havent had the best start in life.

Try not to beat yourself up about it, whats done is done.

What area of the country are you in Lee?

If you havent got a local supplier of Chicken supplements etc, (you may have to look for local horse / animal feed suppliers rather than chicken supply suppliers) you can buy them online.
I use MedicAnimal.com because i buy other animal supplies from them at the same time but there are a lot of online sites that are just as good.

lee-d

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 23:05 »
thank you ,for your help both of you ,its a little upsetting

yaxley

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 23:48 »
Bet it is... Disgraceful when people take advantage of someone who is just beginning with chickens no doubt there will be more keepers on here to help you with them ...

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:59 »
Was it a private sale or is this person a breeder/dealer? I wonder what Trading Standards take on this may be? I would suggest reporting them to a welfare organisation as the birds have not been well-looked after but don't think they will be interested!

Just a point, show birds generally do not make the best egg-layers as they have been bred for showing not egg-laying.

I'm really sorry you have had this experience especially as you sound as though you have done everything right. I think I have been lucky in my dealings. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50 »
hello,ive just become the owner of my first 3 chickens french copper black's 5 days ago,which are just coming up to be ready to lay or so im told !!!! by the girl i got them off,,when i first phoned her from the advert, she was saying they come from show birds and hers are great stock etc etc etc,,and i told her im just a new chicken owner and i was looking to buy french copper blacks ,and because my coop is ready and they sound such a quality and healthy stock they would be great to start with,she dropped them off and i said there very big and look old and she said no there only 4 months ,and with them flying round etc i put them in the coop and paid her,when she left i saw there legs and feet had really really  bad scales and crust all 3 birds and toes missing,i phoned her and she just said they dont,(cow) but they do its bad scaley leg and also they have bumble foot lumps me and my wife have spent the day cleaning there feet and using surgical spirit,then Vaseline also before we did this we noticed, one wont eat much and has ,bad diorea, so
ive made a mix up of epsom salt and yogurt with some oats in for this,,but im upset because i like these birds now and ive tought them how to climb the lader into there coop and spent all my days with them,and they are nice but they are not what she said and im sure they are old stock ,but as im a new chicken keeper im not sure if they are young or old ,but they look old and  there feet look bad,,its just im worried ill get no eggs now,and ive paid high price for them,she saw me coming ! like a fool..but i dont have room for anymore and i cant afford to replace them as this would then start to cost way to much with all the other things ive bought like wood coop,feeders etc,should i just make do with some old birds ,im finding hard to tell there age i just know there not laying any eggs?,,

what do you think thanks lee

Why don't you post some photos of the birds and especially their legs and the bits underneath where the bumblefoot is, then perhaps we can give some more info and help

It very poor to sell birds as 4mths old if they are old hens.  At 4 mths they normally would have very small pinkish combs, not at all developed, as I say some photos will be helpful.

Certainly a 4 mth old French Marans would be nowhere near old enough to be producing eggs
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 17:55 »
Whilst scaley leg and bumble foot are different and have different recommended treatments, it is worth remembering that a bad mite infestation in SL can give a sore pad. I've used surgical spirits to clean, oil to soak into the scales and a daily rubbing of Savlon cream into the scales and foot. This loosens everything and helps the bird remove the dead scales.
For the diarrhoea, try a different diet and get some white maggots from a fishing tackle shop as these will provide protein, clean out the crop and be attractive. Perhaps some vitamins in the water would help. Vitamin D is often in short supply, especially at this time of year.
Best of luck.

lee-d

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 18:53 »
hi,thank you for all your help,i treated there feet with surgical spirit and then used Vaseline for two days but i was disappointed ,as it turns out someone i know has heard of the same person doing something similar once before ,to cut along story short after a few tex messages and a few phone calls i got my money back and she got some chickens back,,

im just going to wait till the right black marans come along now,,

ive heard there is a bird thats ok for darker eggs, called a speckeldy hen,

are these a dark egg or just a brown egg thank you x

grinling

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 19:39 »
Marans can lay dark brown eggs, but the eggs can be lighter in colour as well.
You can buy POL hens from £15 upwards, or you could buy day old chicks and raise yourself with heat lamp (beware of cockerals as hard to rehome). I have a mixture of hens of various ages and hoping that Poppy will lay again this year (now 7 years old) as she goes broody.
Put up your location as people might be able to reccomend a place.

ehs284

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 19:55 »
Welsummers lay lovely dark brown eggs. Great characters too.

lee-d

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 20:12 »
ive got a freind who has some nice healthy welsummer pullets, but he said that his flock  has of never laid the darker eggs some people get from the welsummers,,his are just a slightly darker egg than the shops, but not like the real dark terracotta eggs some people have got from them but!, his are very happy and healthy and true welsummers,,

so im getting one anyway as its only ten pound and there in great condition,

im going to save up and get some quality copper blacks when they are available ,there is two quality breeders near me but there only day old chicks

Chrysalis

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 20:40 »
Oh Lee, I am sorry for your troubles. :( and rather cross that you were sold such poorly hens  :mad:

We had a super speckeldy for one of our first hens and she laid speckeldy eggs.  I would recommend them.   :)
Our Olga was really funny to watch and gave us a lot of enjoyment, as well as an abundance of eggs for two years.  She died rather suddenly, but her compatriots live on two years later and still lay occasionally.  Hybrids like her tend to live shorter but more productive lives.  They are especially bred for laying.  However, they are definitely worth having whether they live long or not, in my opinion... ;)

Best of luck with your next venture...

grinling

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 20:50 »
chickens are best kept in groups of 2 or more and when adding to them later, quarantine will be needed.

yaxley

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 20:56 »
Hello lee great to hear that you got your money back and she had the birds back be more careful when buying maybe there will be a member on here that could help you with birds when your ready ......

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 39 queries.