please recommend me some more chickens,thanks x

• 9 Replies

lee-d

please recommend me some more chickens,thanks x
« on: February 15, 2013, 21:54 »
hi,im going to get a black copper maran and a wellsummer when there ready in 15 weeks,and tomorrow im getting a white leghorn,im told these are a bit skitty, so now i would like some suggestions for some good laying friendly birds to keep also, im just a small uk back garden keeper but they have enough space to play but im open at the back so i cant have them running off,so a nice calm layer would be great, thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: please recommend me some more chickens,thanks x
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 14:14 »
sorry but that sort of question will often get you hundreds of different answers because we all have our favourite breeds and even two birds of the same breed will often have different characteristics. Just choose the ones you like the looks off and make your place more secure :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 15:35 »
Joyfull's right, but I'm happy to recommend a good layer anyway!

We love our hybrids for their eggs.  Pure breeds are great and a lot of fun.  Our best layers are warrens - just the usual brown hens.  They are quite docile and love company, easy to look after and lay over 300 eggs a year.  they don't moult heavily and just seem to fit in  :nowink:

Our bluebelle and black rock are too old to lay now, but they have been good, too. We keep them on for other reasons: the bluebelle for her looks and the BR for her intelligence and eggs (as well as her fab feathers).

Just choose what you like and have fun. ;)

lee-d

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 16:12 »
ok thanks

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 16:52 »
I love orpingtons as they are so big and beautiful to look at but probably not the best layers as they do tend to go broody!!  I also have a buff sussex but they havnt really got into the swing of laying yet.  Hybrids are probably the best layer.  I would have a selection of posh girls for their looks and  a few hybrids for their eggs.   :)

Prod

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 15:26 »
As above really   I have a mixture and some lay better than others and some are more attractive than others. If you want a slightly different colour egg (blue/green) you could go for a Cream Legbar and the best white shelled egg I have ever eaten was from my Ancona who, despite only being 15mths old, has stopped laying :( :( Dont forget you are better introducing 2 at a time rather than an individual one to an existing group....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 15:27 by Prod »

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 19:04 »
I would get the place secured first, if its as open as you say, foxes are wily creatures and it wont take em  long to get the scent of your chickens, be a shame to have them around only to be taken by a fox
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:19 »
It is fine to mix pure breeds and hybrids just so long as none of them or all of them  have been vaccinated. Do not mix otherwise :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

tatiana916

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:33 »
I've just made the mistake of hatching polish and stupidly thinking everyone would get along! I've got two hybrids and one of them won't stop bullying them. Poor things can't see well enough to defend themselves! Also my Sumatra was a very flightly girl and the hybrids were as docile as anything but put them together and the sumatras 'flightyness' rubbed off and they were all constantly running away from invisible dangers in the garden like a gust of wind?? Don't know if anyone else has experienced that though.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:18 »
Remove the bully for a couple of weeks and when she goes back in she will be nearer if not at the bottom of the pecking order. :)

xx
Anyone recommend...

Started by power_of_p3 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 15:42
by poultrygeist
xx
which breed would you recommend for me?

Started by newhen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 19:20
by newhen
xx
Which breed would you recommend?

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 18:30
by alisonwo
xx
Recommend me a breed please.

Started by death of rats on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 06:26
by joyfull

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.