Growing aubergines outdoors?

• 11 Replies

BarefootDancer

Growing aubergines outdoors?
« on: July 29, 2009, 13:40 »
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to veg growing and have just stumbled upon this great site. I live in a first floor flat so don't actually have my own garden, but have managed to "borrow" space in other people's this year!  :tongue2:

My question is about growing aubergines outdoors. My colleague gave me some spare young plants that she had started off in her greenhouse and I kept them on my south facing living room windowsill until they were about 30cm or so high.

I then re-potted and transferred to my Nan's garden, where they have been standing outside, up against the wall of the house. This was just before the very hot spell we had.

Two of the three plants have flowers and the tallest has just produced one tiny aubergine - I am ridiculously proud and keep telling everyone!  :D   However, I'm wondering whether it's likely to mature outside and whether I'll get any more fruits? 

My book advises that I pinch out the first fruit of larger fruiting varieties and thin any subsequent fruit to just leave a handful. But I'm loathe to do that as I only have one! Plus the plants were donations and I'm not sure what variety they are.

Any advice?  Or anyone else with experience of growing aubergines outside?  Everything I read says that they are only really successful under glass, which of course I don't have.

Thanks!
Barefoot xx
"Perhaps we could just dig up that bit of lawn......and plant more veg?"

noshed

Re: Growing aubergines outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 14:15 »
Everyone on our site grows them outside. I've only managed little ones but they get huge ones - loads of feeding I think.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 14:28 »
I have grown some for the first time. they are outside. since I transplated them they have not grown any taller and are a few inches only. all that they have done is produce one or two flowers.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 14:31 »
I started mine inside on the window sill, had the first few fruits then moved them outside to give them a bit more space and I've had more fruits. Mine are both dwarf varieties. I haven't pinched or thinned anything.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 15:17 »
mine were doing very well on the window sill. then I planted out side and they did nothing. :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 15:43 »
Well, unless you grow in a very warm micro climate, i would think you will have trouble with aubergine outside. :( They grow outside in countries like greece and turkey, which i think means they like heat, not the hotchpotch of weather we call summer in the uk :ohmy:
Last year even  the greenhouse was too cold for the couple i grew :(

So fingers crossed for anybody growing aubs......inside or out :)

BarefootDancer

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 17:12 »
Everyone on our site grows them outside. I've only managed little ones but they get huge ones - loads of feeding I think.

Ah, haven't been feeding them, so maybe I should start! 

BarefootDancer

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 17:15 »
I started mine inside on the window sill, had the first few fruits then moved them outside to give them a bit more space and I've had more fruits. Mine are both dwarf varieties. I haven't pinched or thinned anything.

Hmm, perhaps I should ask my colleague what variety they are, or else I'll forever be waiting for my dwarf fruits to grow big!  :unsure:

Although, I suspect that she inherited them from the previous owner of her house, so might not know either!  (The outgoing family had kindly planted up the veg plot and greenhouse with all sorts of goodies!  ::) )

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 17:17 »
I feed mine tom food :)

BarefootDancer

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37 »
I feed mine tom food :)

Ah, thanks Tam, you've preempted my next question!  We've got loads of tom food in the garage, so will give them a good feed and keep my fingers (and toes....) crossed!

Barefoot xx

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:39 »
I think I'll bring mine inside.

BarefootDancer

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49 »
I think I'll bring mine inside.

Yeah, if the weather continues to be mixed I might do the same.  They grew fast during the hot spell and started producing flowers, but now it's a bit cooler, even in the shelter of the house.

They quite liked their start on my sunny south-facing windowsill, although would now probably block out all the light!  :blink:

xx
Growing Okra is it possible outdoors?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 04:00
by Trillium
xx
Growing tomatoes and cucumbers outdoors

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 22:08
by WG.
xx
GROWING AUBERGINES

Started by mickjoe84 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 10:12
by compostqueen
xx
Growing Aubergines

Started by sentoholistics on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 21:45
by gobs

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 41 queries.