Growing Aubergines in pots

• 4 Replies

simbamara

• Experienced Member
Growing Aubergines in pots
« on: October 07, 2015, 23:52 »
I have grown 4/5  healthy aubergine plants in pots.Problem is there are few flowers on each plant but not developing into aubergines. The leaves are quite big down to 3/4 down the plant.I read I must cut the top of the middle stem?? But the top has 2/3 buds coming out !! What to do please ? Should I cut any leaves as one does in a tomato plant ?
Thanks
PS Also I have many figs on my fig tree that are not ripening !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing Aubergines in pots
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 18:26 »
I have not grown aubergines before, but I suspect that if they haven't got significantly sized fruit yet, you may not be successful.

Often, cutting the top off forces the plant to branch out lower down - but that's not really an issue at this time of year.

Are they outdoors?

As for the fig tree, what size are the figs?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 18:37 »
I have never been very successful growing aubs but my understanding is if you haven't got fruit now you are unlikely too. Your choices are sling it or overwinter it, with the latter giving a running start for next year.

As for figs. I think it was Thelma found a link that all fruit over pea size should be removed in November. I had a couple form this year that started too late and they won't do anything but I have also got loads of large figlets - a bit heart breaking to remove but if it means ripe fruit in the long run.  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 22:24 »
I had 3 aubergines on my bought plant this year, and the plant is now dying down, so I too think its too late for yours to do anything.

One year, about 2009 I had 4 lovely aubergine plants which is grew outside in an open cold frame, but not much success since until my 3 fruits off one plant this year!

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 22:09 »
Thank you all for the replies !
1.Yorkie - Yes the plants are outside but I an going to move them in a one side open shed !
2. The figs are small to medium size. I had put cloth around a few and they had ripened to a huge size.

Thanks

xx
GROWING AUBERGINES

Started by mickjoe84 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 10:12
by compostqueen
clip
Growing Aubergines

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 07, 2021, 21:08
by jezza
xx
Growing Aubergines

Started by sentoholistics on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 21:45
by gobs
xx
Growing aubergines outdoors?

Started by BarefootDancer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 12:49
by BarefootDancer

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 35 queries.