Merry tiller rotor shaft bearings

• 2 Replies

DaveOH

Merry tiller rotor shaft bearings
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:38 »
Can anyone advise me on how to remove the bearings and oil seals from a Merry tiller titan?

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Merry tiller rotor shaft bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:50 »
The chaincase has to be split to remove the bearings so the whole machine must be stripped down to remove the chaincase.  Provided your Titan is a standard model and not a  GT (Geared Transmission) it will have oil seals that come out outwards, they are tight so often need to be destroyed to remove them, just be sure not to damage the case when poking them out with a screwdriver etc. The bearings are pressed into the tubular housing and can be drifted out either way. I have access to a lathe and made a shouldered drift, from an old piece of  BSP pipe, to remove the old bearings and drift new ones in. A thick 1.25” dia washer allows me to use the drift to fit new seals too. These seals have a chamfered edge which goes into the case and a rounded edge which is strong enough to be drifted against. Put some grease on the seals before refitting the rotor shaft as the outer lip does not get any other lubrication. Check the other bearings and chains in the case for wear while you have the case in pieces. Titan chains can be got from engineers suppliers, as can bearings, but sprockets and shafts are no longer available.

Regards, Richard
R Tallentire

DaveOH

Re: Merry tiller rotor shaft bearings
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:09 »
The chaincase has to be split to remove the bearings so the whole machine must be stripped down to remove the chaincase.  Provided your Titan is a standard model and not a  GT (Geared Transmission) it will have oil seals that come out outwards, they are tight so often need to be destroyed to remove them, just be sure not to damage the case when poking them out with a screwdriver etc. The bearings are pressed into the tubular housing and can be drifted out either way. I have access to a lathe and made a shouldered drift, from an old piece of  BSP pipe, to remove the old bearings and drift new ones in. A thick 1.25” dia washer allows me to use the drift to fit new seals too. These seals have a chamfered edge which goes into the case and a rounded edge which is strong enough to be drifted against. Put some grease on the seals before refitting the rotor shaft as the outer lip does not get any other lubrication. Check the other bearings and chains in the case for wear while you have the case in pieces. Titan chains can be got from engineers suppliers, as can bearings, but sprockets and shafts are no longer available.

Regards, Richard
"Thank you Richard, your info' was very usefull." I have the merry tiller apart the old bearings and seal included. I'm going to give it all a nice coat of paint before reasembiling.

xx
merry tiller major rotor shaft oil seals

Started by davehowlett on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 11:24
by DaveOH
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
please help merry tiller

Started by riche100 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2017, 09:36
by riche100
xx
merry tiller

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 17:19
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.