Gardeners delight tomato issue

• 26 Replies

nevets

Gardeners delight tomato issue
« on: July 31, 2020, 21:36 »
Good evening Forum, new member here. I googled an issue with Gardeners delight tomatoes and it led me to the site so I've taken the plunge and joined.
Anyway I have been growing the same tomato variety for around 20 plus years. Gardeners delight, usually seeds from Wilko. This year i produced around 40 plants keeping about 30 and giving the rest to family. They are ripening in my greenhouses. I have tried some of the ripe ones and they are terrible. The plants that I gave to my family also have terrible tasting toms.
Q is Has there been an issue with Wilko gardeners Delight tomatoes or have I just got a bad packet. Never had an issue before and my greenhouses are mainly for GD toms but now this year will pass with an awful harvest of horrible toms. They are not sweet as usual and they are very "powdery". plants and fruit look OK though.
Any help greatly appreciated

Steve

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: Gardeners delight tomato issue
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 22:40 »
I too am using Wilko Gardeners Delight tomatoes mainly grown outside started in cold frames.   You are slightly ahead of me as mine are set on but have yet to ripen.   Thank you for alerting me to the possible problem.   I will check the flavour as soon as the first ones ripen.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 23:17 »
Good evening Forum, new member here. I googled an issue with Gardeners delight tomatoes and it led me to the site so I've taken the plunge and joined.
Anyway I have been growing the same tomato variety for around 20 plus years. Gardeners delight, usually seeds from Wilko. This year i produced around 40 plants keeping about 30 and giving the rest to family. They are ripening in my greenhouses. I have tried some of the ripe ones and they are terrible. The plants that I gave to my family also have terrible tasting toms.
Q is Has there been an issue with Wilko gardeners Delight tomatoes or have I just got a bad packet. Never had an issue before and my greenhouses are mainly for GD toms but now this year will pass with an awful harvest of horrible toms. They are not sweet as usual and they are very "powdery". plants and fruit look OK though.
Any help greatly appreciated

Steve

A few more details please, are you growing in soil in the greenhouse or in pots? Are you using your normal compost mix if the latter?

mrsbean

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 23:20 »
Welcome nevets, what a shame and disappointment. My GD are romping away and taste lovely and sweet. But they were not Wilko. I would get in touch with the seed company to see if anyone else has had the same issues.

nevets

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 23:31 »
I am growing in the soil but that has a good mix of general potting compost and some wood ash which I add every year. I always start the toms early, january-ish, in the house and put in final positions when about a foot tall. Pinch out regularly, same spacing. Plants appear to be the same along with the fruit being identical in size, colour and ripening time. They have been ripening for the past month and I initially thought I had 1 iffy plant but they (and the plants given to family) are equally rough tasting. Quite annoying when GD toms are my favourite and the main reason i run 2 greenhouses. As a slight add on it is also my worst year for produce elsewhere in the garden apart from my onions, but the tom situation has miffed me somewhat. Another thing I have noticed is that the plants this year have growths similar to what we pinch out from the main stalk, but these growths are on a lot of the leaf / branches. Never had that before. I will try and get my wife to upload a picture tomorrow. I have butchered the tops of the plants due to the poor crop and will probably allow them to continue to fruit but give the chickens a good treat.

nevets

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 23:35 »
Chris, let me know what your crop is like especially if you have grown from them before.
Mrs Bean, I love the taste and am often found just pigging out on them in the green house. Not this year though.
Plot 1, if you need more info please let me know.

Steve

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 23:56 »
Thanks for the reply nevets, just trying to rule out any obvious problems!

I know over the past few years a few people have bemoaned a decline in quality in Gardener's Delight toms, I tried them once and they were no comparison to other types like Sungold.

mrsbean

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 22:50 »
My this years GD are  so tasty and sweet, already picked so many. I have even made soup to use them up.I also gave plants to friends which are growing strong. This years plants were from last years packet.

chris mutter

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:02 »
Does no one save a Tomato or two and harvest your own seeds. Or is this classed as a no no.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 14:00 »
Does no one save a Tomato or two and harvest your own seeds. Or is this classed as a no no.

Been saving non-F1 tomato seed for years with no problems, including from Gardeners' Delight (perhaps just as well given some of the observations in this thread!  ;))

If growing a mixture of different varieties (or other people nearby are) you can't be 100% certain yours won't get cross-pollinated, but the chances are that won't happen and your seeds should come true to type the following year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 14:21 »
Reading the posts here and online research has got me thinking that maybe I should go through the hassle of having a pack of these seeds sent to Poland, where I can have them picked up by a friend, who will then get them to me here. I just thought I should ask people their opinion on the possibilities of ending up with problematic seeds, as of the odd post from guys who are not happy this year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 21:57 »
If it's an F1 variety then there's no point, if you want the same variety to come true the following year.

Otherwise I think the Real seeds website has lots of useful info on saving seed from year to year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 22:27 »
I'm growing GD for the first time in years as I was tempted by the 25p packet in Wilkos...  ::) ::) ::)

My one plant is outdoors in pots and I've had fruits for a couple of weeks now. I must say I'm quite disappointed in the flavour compared to Sungold, Galina or Latah and have no desire to grow them again...

But after this thread I might be tempted by realseed's version.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 08:46 »
But after this thread I might be tempted by realseed's version.
I was tempted last year, but for me, it wasn't a very strong growing plant and the fruits were smaller than I expected - perhaps I was unlucky, but thought I'd let you know anyway  ;)

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 10:51 »

Been saving non-F1 tomato seed for years with no problems, including from Gardeners' Delight (perhaps just as well given some of the observations in this thread!  ;))

If growing a mixture of different varieties (or other people nearby are) you can't be 100% certain yours won't get cross-pollinated, but the chances are that won't happen and your seeds should come true to type the following year.
Generally speaking tomatoes do not cross pollinate with one another, even if they are close.   This is taken from the notes I got on tomatoes when I went on a seed saving course with the Heritage Seed Library:

"Most tomatoes are not capable of cross-pollination as the flowers are perfect and self-pollinating. The female stigma is very short, and grows within a tube formed by the fused anthers.  For these types, different varieties can be grown close together.  There are three exceptions: currant tomatoes (Solanum pimpinellifolium), potato leaved varieties, and double blossoms on beefsteak varieties.  These often have a protruding stigma and are able to cross-pollinate, especially if there are other protruding-stigma varieties in the vicinity.  To be absolutely certain, check a few newly opened flowers using a hand lens.  The green stigmas will protrude from the anther tube. For safety, you could grow just one protruding-stigma variety a year.  Or, you may want to cage plants or bag trusses, the flowers will self-pollinate within these."   

xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 00:16
by shokkyy
xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 15:30
by drmoonshine
xx
Gardeners Delight Tomato

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:18
by sunshineband
xx
gardeners delight

Started by trekkles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2021, 23:24
by al78

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 56 queries.