Stopping Greenhouse Door Draughts

• 17 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Stopping Greenhouse Door Draughts
« on: August 11, 2012, 00:42 »
Hello again all,

Just another little question I hope someone can help me with.

Having reassembled my free greenhouse (which looks like a Halls, but I can't be sure as it's very old), I was left with a very loose and wobbly sliding door.  Some new small wheels on the base have solved this problem and it's now far more secure.

However, I'm still left with a large gap between door and frame of a centimetre or more My plot's in a very exposed site, and I'm just a bit worried about what might happen come the winter gales.

I've added ordinary draught excluder around the door frame, but there's still a large gap. I've looked up custom greenhouse products, and the only thing that looks as though it might bridge the distance is a rubber seal with a wide flange on it.

However, I can't for the life of me work out where it's meant to go - on the frame, or the door itself? - and how it would fit without disturbing the action of the door as it opens and closes.

Please can any kind soul enlighten me?

Many thanks in advance,

Pim.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Paul Plots

Re: Stopping Greenhouse Door Draughts
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:17 »
I'm no help at all... but pleased to hear your greenhouse is up and in action.

I'm using an old one that was in the garden when we took over the place. 13 broken panes of glass - now patched but there's still a 1/4 pane missing - up to now it's just added a bit of extra ventilation.

Good luck with the door / frame insulation.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:20 »
On mine a rubber seal fits into a groove around the door, with a pliable flap that sticks out, and the door slides without a problem. It's quite difficult to get the flange into the groove/slot I had to poke it in an inch at a time with a blunt screwdriver  :blink:

This place is good for finding replacement seals if your's needs a slightly different shape.
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=3

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:36 »

You don't want your greenhouse to be completely airtight.  Stagnant air will promote fungal and viral growth.   :ohmy:

A good exchange of air is ideal.    ;)

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:22 »
Thanks for the replies, though I'm still puzzling out what to do! :)

Tony, my worry is that my plot is on a really exposed site...  I've watched two neighbouring greenhouses ripped apart like paper in the high winds we had earlier this summer, so God knows what it's going to be like in the winter!

If the wind can blow in and the air pressure builds up, don't I risk the same damage?

Pim.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08 »
Although my greenhouse door has a seal (a rather puny, "furry" strip which slides into the frame channel) the gap is far from closed.

The only time I've lost a pane of glass was a few months after I built it when I opened the door with a strong breeze coming from right behind me, although strangely enough it was a pane next to the door rather than the far end which broke (could have been a weak pane as there are usually a lot of flaws in standard horticultural glass.)

I would have thought that the air pressure build up with the door closed but not properly sealed would be minimal compared to having the door open, and as Klefti said there are good reasons for not needing to achieve a completely airtight greenhouse.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:26 »
In my experience, even with a door seal, most greenhouses are far from airtight  ;)

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 23:21 »
Can you fit some aluminium angle into the rebate of the door frame so the door claps up against it when it closes?,I think they sell it at B. and Q.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 00:17 »
Hi TheDad!

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, if I could fit it, that would certainly help.  I'll have to take a look tomorrow and see if there might be a way of doing it.

Cheers,

Pim.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 15:36 »
If you get high winds, then I wonder if strapping down the frame in two places would help? Perhaps a length of shipping strapping flung over the whole metal framing and in two places, and pegged well into the ground.

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 15:48 »
I also live in a very exposed and windy area. I find that leaving air vents and the door slightly open helps the wind to get out of the greenhouse. If only one iof these s open, it can't get out efficiently.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 20:20 »
B 7 Q and probably others, do outdoor door seal on rolls of varying thicknesses, this worked for me in the same situation

jock100

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 16:49 »

I'm using an old one that was in the garden when we took over the place. 13 broken panes of glass - now patched but there's still a 1/4 pane missing - up to now it's just added a bit of extra ventilation.

Hi Paul
I am looking for some 2x2 & 2x18 glass for the greenhouse i  have just bought can you point me in any direction

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 20:55 »
Hi Jock,

I acquired a free greenhouse and needed to replace some glass so just went along, with my measurements, to a local glazing shop who supplied greenhouse quality glass to fit the missing panes.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 00:24 »

Hi Paul
I am looking for some 2x2 & 2x18 glass for the greenhouse i  have just bought can you point me in any direction

I had a few old spare panes so plonked those in place but will eventually need to re-glaze the whole greenhouse by taking the exisiting panes out, buying some replacements, and re-using those that are good.

Hi Jock,

I acquired a free greenhouse and needed to replace some glass so just went along, with my measurements, to a local glazing shop who supplied greenhouse quality glass to fit the missing panes.

angelavdavis has the right idea.  ;) That's what I'll do in the Spring... when I've saved up. ;)

xx
Greenhouse door problem

Started by MarieG on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 11:59
by MarieG
xx
Greenhouse door runners

Started by Axe on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 20:47
by Slowgrind
clip
Crittall Greenhouse door seal

Started by igger21 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2019, 19:50
by igger21
clip
Greenhouse door replacement wheels

Started by whaleroad on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2024, 17:48
by whaleroad

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 30 queries.