Using a gazebo frame as a fruit cage, anyone done it?

• 13 Replies

tinlizzy

The raspberries have done well this year but it was a chore getting under the netting, so I hit on the idea of using an old gazebo to make a fruit cage.   Would it be sturdy enough, I don't want to go to the expense of buying net and rigging it up if it's going to collapse when the wind blows.   Any other ideas for a cheap fruit cage?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Using a gazebo frame as a fruit cage, anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 17:40 »
We just removed our gazebo and the frame is really sturdy i might be something to think about. Thanks for the great idea is there really a need for a fruit cage.
Thanks
Kris

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:10 »
A very good idea. Kicking myself now as a couple of friends have bought new ones and taken the old frames to the tip. They would certainly keep the butterflies well away from the cabbages.
Possibilities for a movable walk in poultry pen as well .Nice one Tinlizzy.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 19:34 »
Where do you get the netting from ermmm i have had a look around to see whats what but not sure

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 20:58 »
If you can get your friends old ruined gazebo frames, they probably have the canopy that goes over them.  Usually 2 or 3 of the sides are fine netting - perfect for brassicas, especially if you just use the top half of the gazebo frame; gives you a 3 ft high, 5ft x 5ft approx structure - unsure about fruit as they may need pollination from larger insects.  Cut out the useful net panels on the 2 or 3 sides, if you can get extra canopies destined for the tip - brill, or if not the cheapest option is to buy the naffest coloured netting from a fabric shop, and hold it in place with cable ties around the frame, and tent pegs into the ground.  Not as posh as a fruit cage, but much, much cheaper.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 22:15 »
Hi,
I've just put one up today, cobbled from two old gazebo frames. 
Now I've got it in place I can sort out appropriate size netting.  We just put it up with the bottom poles missing to reduce the height, and sunk the legs into the ground, it seems quite firm.    It looks a bit stark white though, so I might see what I can dig out of the garage to tone it down a bit :tongue2:
Got some poles left, might make a strawberry cage out of them if I'm feeling creative!
Penny

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:42 »
Let us know where you get your netting PennyS im still in two mind weather to make it up yet or not.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 22:41 »
I have been scouring ebay and working out the cheapest netting.  I'm still torn between the debris stuff and regular small hole garden net.  Also trying to work out the best way to make an easy access opening that doesn't allow butterflies in. 
Will let you know what evolves!
Penny

tinlizzy

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:10 »
Well after nearly 2 years of thinking about making my gazebo fruit cage I've actually put it together and got the netting on the roof, just tied on with string at the moment.   Need to buy the net for the sides.   I think I'll lace the side and the roof together, unless anyone has a better idea.    Not sure about the door, perhaps overlap the join by about a yard and weight it down with bricks, anyone found a better way?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:51 »
It's not a good idea to buy really small hole netting though, remember that the fruit needs pollinating....unless you are only going to cover completely once the fruit has set :)

grinling

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 20:26 »
We have found that the birds tend to leave raspberries alone, obviously something else must taste better.

tinlizzy

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:49 »
Fruit cage is made, just in time as the first strawberries are turning red, one has already been nibbled by some creature.   Have left it at the hight of the first pole, about a metre at the edge and 6' in the middle.   Bougth some cheapo net from ebay to put round the sides, will get some decent stuff next year if it works.   Would have put the extra poles in but no one about to help.   So using some net I had and buying the rest I've got a 10' square fruit cage for less that a fiver.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 12:03 »

Always keep the lateral thinking grey cells switched on.  "Now what can I use that for' was one of 'My old Mam's' regular sayings.   ::) Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 06:50 »
Just found this old thread and it's genius!  I have an old gazebo but the poles have split on the ends and so I was going to ditch the frame and cut up the old tarpaulin for a bbq cover.  I will now cut the poles down, buy some netting and turn into a fruit frame!  Excellent, thanks!!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
fruit cage

Started by alfieplot162 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 21:24
by PennyS
xx
Fruit Cage

Started by Knight Family on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 09:06
by jonny
xx
Fruit Cage Advice

Started by JohnB47 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 21:24
by kennykoala
question
Fruit cage - DIY advice please.

Started by moreteavicar on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2021, 16:34
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 33 queries.