Leek Moth, Time to Cover Up....

• 10 Replies

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
Leek Moth, Time to Cover Up....
« on: July 22, 2011, 21:25 »
I got a bad infestation of leek moth during August last year and by the time I noticed i had a problem, the whole crop seemed to have been affected.

I have been saving my enviromesh for them this year and they are getting covered this weekend.

Once nibbled, twice shy.... :wub:

Endymion

• Experienced Member
Re: Leek Moth, Time to Cover Up....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 17:16 »
We've had our leeks undercover since they were put into the ground. With onion fly, leek moth and pigeons competing to either eat them or pull them up we thought it was our only chance of getting a reasonable crop.

That's except for about half a dozen left-over weaklings that we didn't have the heart to compost. They were shoved into the flower border, and were almost immediately pulled up and run away with by either blackbirds or pigeons - we found their remnants on the lawn.  ::)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 17:43 »
yes i enviromeshed my leek bed when i planted them out. Fingers crossed.

In the seed bed there were about 50 leeks left so I just let them carry on growing - have eaten several (eaten young like this they are lovely just with a touch of butter and sauteed...)

"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 17:57 »
So far this seems to be a problem in the southern half of Britain (you can keep it thanks very much!)  :tongue2:

Commercial growers no doubt "nuke" everything that moves with pesticides, the rest of us have to think about the advice contained in articles like this one:

http://davehubbleecology.blogspot.com/2011/01/leek-moth-in-britain-spread-and.html
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 19:08 »
Oh dear, planted out my leeks today - better get back tomorrow and cover them up  ::)

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:03 »
Le sigh, we were puzzled to discover that 1/2 the leeks were looking great, but the other half were looking pretty dodgy - looks like we have these pesky moths. Hope we manage to get rid of the already dead ones in time to save what's left.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:48 »
It's just fingers crossed for me, I just haven't got enough 'viromesh to cover EVERYTHING :nowink:

gillian62

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 11:35 »
I have used net curtains and voile that I've picked up very cheaply (freecycle/charity shops etc) and have found it very useful.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works ok for me.

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 00:13 »
Oh dear, planted out my leeks today - better get back tomorrow and cover them up  ::)

You might need to.  :( A grower from Herts says here that they spotted them in September 2010.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 21:28 »
Just to bump this.

Went back to the allotment today and a lot of the remaining 'clean' leeks were mothed now as well. It's a bit gutting, since this is the first year we had what was beginning to look like leeks not cocky spring onions, but the bed is rapidly emptying...

Oh well, the french beans seem to be doing well. We'll cover the leeks next year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 21:34 »
So far this seems to be a problem in the southern half of Britain (you can keep it thanks very much!)  :tongue2:

Commercial growers no doubt "nuke" everything that moves with pesticides, the rest of us have to think about the advice contained in articles like this one:

http://davehubbleecology.blogspot.com/2011/01/leek-moth-in-britain-spread-and.html

According to the RHS, commercial growers are licensed to use nicotine (yes that's right nicotine) to control these moths.

Bought any leeks recently?Hope not  :tongue2:

Needless to say this is not available to amateur growers, or recommended they attempt to use it either
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
leek moth

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 12:17
by corynsboy
xx
leek moth - help

Started by spocke on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 03, 2011, 06:56
by sunshineband
xx
leek moth

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 12:02
by Kristen
xx
Leek moth

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 16, 2014, 19:19
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 35 queries.