Growing through Winter in a greenhouse

• 6 Replies

hubballi

Growing through Winter in a greenhouse
« on: March 16, 2011, 23:56 »
As I now have a decent lean to greenhouse I am thinking if I am able to grow salad and other veg through the winter months. What options do I have in what I can grow and will I need a heater of any kind ?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Growing through Winter in a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37 »
I grow Dwarf French Beans into the Autumn (sown in July), and Chard, Beetroot and Kohl Rabi sown in August for a Spring Crop - bit touch an go on the roots as they are inclined to go to seed, but the "flowers" on Kohl Rabi are fine as Sprouting Brocolli :) but the Chard makes a good crop from March onwards

I grow Lettuce Winter Gem and Lambs Lettuce during the Winter - but I have to admit I'm pretty half hearted about that ... its not really the sort of thing we choose to eat during the Winter

You could try over wintered carrots for a spring crop - T&M do one called Nantes Frubrund (there are threads here from a year or two back - people had mixed success - my packet is still unopened!)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:37 »
As I now have a decent lean to greenhouse I am thinking if I am able to grow salad and other veg through the winter months. What options do I have in what I can grow and will I need a heater of any kind ?

You will need heating and growing lights, day length and light levels are important.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:00 »
You will need heating and growing lights, day length and light levels are important.

sorry, I disagree.
You can easily grow a good selection of winter salads and overwinter hardy veg for a very early spring start.
Lettuce, corn salad, radicchio, rocket will grow all winter, chard will grow as long as thhe temps don't drop to low. The eastern veg, pak choi etc also do quite well as they are hardy plants.

here's an old thread with ideas
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=66291.msg756945#msg756945

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09 »

sorry, I disagree.
You can easily grow a good selection of winter salads and overwinter hardy veg for a very early spring start.
Lettuce, corn salad, radicchio, rocket will grow all winter, chard will grow as long as thhe temps don't drop to low. The eastern veg, pak choi etc also do quite well as they are hardy plants.

here's an old thread with ideas
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=66291.msg756945#msg756945

There is a lot of difference between having the plants overwintering (doing nowt in the cold) and actually growing well. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:23 »
There is a lot of difference between having the plants overwintering (doing nowt in the cold) and actually growing well

I agree;
However, all the salad crops grew and were eaten throughout the last 2 cold winters, as was the chard through all but the hardest weeks, without heating or lighting.

mgf

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 22:01 »
I have given up growing anything during the winter in the greenhouse. Not found it worth the effort.

xx
Greenhouse growing in winter

Started by Amilo on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 15:54
by arugula
xx
Winter greenhouse

Started by Margaret on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2006, 09:14
by John
xx
Lettuce in the greenhouse in winter!

Started by stompy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

55 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 20:05
by compostqueen
grin
Winter greenhouse spuds.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 07:24
by bayleaf

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 41 queries.