Newbie at rearing chicks under broody hen - help ???

• 2 Replies

Stablechooks

Hi All
We have decided to try rearing our own chicks under a broody hen. Things were going well, we had  settled her and 7 eggs in rearing box etc... however when she gets up to drink etc she wanders back to the laying boxes in main hutch - like she has forgotten where her eggs are! We lift  her out and resettle her... each time. We are worried that the eggs she is supposed to be incubating get too cold, i.e. cold to the touch.
Should we keep her confined to a much smaller run where she can only go back to the one spot ?  If the eggs have gone cold should we start again ? We are only 4 days into the whole process!

Any advice welcome, compared to artificial rearing there is surprising little info out there on how to assist Mom in her natural duties!
Thanks
Learning... always learning!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Newbie at rearing chicks under broody hen - help ???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 22:18 »
I used rabbit hutches for my two broodies.  They brood in the covered area and have their food and water in the meshed area.  No escaping their duties that way.   ::) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

Re: Newbie at rearing chicks under broody hen - help ???
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 22:56 »
I've just gone through this and remember asking the same questions.

In the early days i thought mine had forgotten her responsibilites as she kept coming out to play with the others.
A couple of times our eggs were cold to touch, especially as the weather was very cold then too. As the days passed she stayed in there longer and longer and firmly stayed put no matter what.
Make sure there is food and water close by. If she is anything like mine she will dash out take on water and food in seconds, have a quick trot around and shoot back in, all in the blink of an eye.

xx
Q. about rearing chicks outside with mum

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 08:45
by Sassy
xx
Rearing chicks?

Started by Hotbunnycharlie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 21:13
by Fifitrix
xx
rearing chicks

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 10, 2011, 11:03
by pepsi100
xx
Rearing Chicks

Started by Russellintheundergrowth on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 09:39
by Russellintheundergrowth

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 36 queries.