size of space for chucks

• 7 Replies

Tony H

• Experienced Member
size of space for chucks
« on: December 09, 2011, 20:54 »
Hi all after reading conflicting comments on the size of space each chuck needs i decided to find out so here we go
RSPCA
web site states that 12sq metters of space will hold 30 birds, they will need
15cms of roosting space

DEFRA
The law states density must not exeed 9 laying hens per sq metter

EU-Free range
each hen must have 4 sq metter of usable space single or multy tier with a maximum use of 4 layers with or without outdoor access

EU-Battery hens
The minimum legal requirment for up to 5 hens is 20" x 20" (inch)

EU- Barn hens
maximum legal density must not exeed 25 hens per usable sq-meter

To be honest i think that having that many chucks in such a small space is cruel  :tongue2:

Chicken crazy

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
Re: size of space for chucks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 21:32 »

EU-Free range
each hen must have 4 sq metter of usable space single or multy tier with a maximum use of 4 layers with or without outdoor access

Could you put up a link where you got that from. It looks like complete cods wallop.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 21:47 »
I'm also surprised at that one!  I would have thought that access to the outdoors was the minimum prerequisite for being "free range".   I would be extremely surprised if they could be kept permanently indoors in a multi-tiered arrangement and be called free range!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 21:54 »
this defra link says free range should be 2,500 per hectare most of which should be vegetation. 1 hectare = 2.471 acres. So divide 2500 by 2.471 =  1012.14 birds per acre, which then equals 4046 square metres so each bird should have at least 4 square metres each.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1082259313&r.l1=1081597476&r.l2=1082184851&r.l3=1083732033&r.l4=1082248934&r.s=sc&type=RESOURCES

But if you read the british free range association website they state 800 per acre
http://www.theranger.co.uk/ranging.asp

However it is the shed density that is changing and inside the shed as of 1st January 2012 they will be allowed 9 birds per metre (at the moment it is 11.7). This gives each bird 30cms square (12 inches in old money) of space.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:10 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 22:00 »
I do hope my two posts above help to put peoples mind at ease - free range means access all day to the outside, which is mainly covered by vegetation and also shade to be provided and as they are descendants of the jungle fowl they should have trees providing this shade. The density of the birds outside at it's minimum is 4square metres per bird  :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12 »
woops sorry all :ohmy:  after spending hours on the net last night i seem to have crossed the line between fact and the law definition of free range is livestock must have accsess to the outside, outsid EU free range mean diferent things
the web sites are defra.gov.uk
and www.downthelane.net/battery
and many more !
thanks joyfull  ;)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 06:22 »
a lot of people get confused and only see the housing minimum requirements - which is what I can only assume has happened here and on several other posts. Most backyard poultry keepers though cannot afford to give their birds the minimum space of mainly vegetation, especially when you consider how quickly the hens will clear the ground of grass and other plants. The more space you can give your birds the better although even the space mine have is not enough for my birds or so it would seem as they are often found wandering along the bridleway and in the field next to my house  :).

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 22:14 »
The more space you can give your birds the better although even the space mine have is not enough for my birds or so it would seem as they are often found wandering along the bridleway and in the field next to my house  :).

Mine are just inquisitive, and I think it's a case of the grass is greener....
Mine were in their daytime compound having a whale of a time foraging under the leaves and amongst the undergrowth. I left a small gap between the fence sections and they squeezed their way through into a very boring area with nothing of interest to peck at!

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
new chucks

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 20:00
by Tony H
xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp
xx
I WANT TO KEEP CHUCKS?

Started by sydlin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 17:13
by calli

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 30 queries.