rearing chicks

• 13 Replies

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
rearing chicks
« on: December 07, 2011, 14:51 »
Hi Im getting 2 day old Cream Legbar hens in April. What brooder would you recommend?
my breeder says I can make a 12"deep wooden box and wire mesh roof and decent heat lamp, but the heat lamp alone is £30! for 2 chicks thats pretty expensive. Ive seen some plastic containers on ebay that are all in one brooder packs with heat lamp/feeder/slide resistant flooring...and its only arounf £20. Anyone used these or heard of these and have any opinions?

Much appreciated.
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

Spana

Re: rearing chicks
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 16:10 »
Just remember the chicks will grow and need heat for at least 4 weeks even in April.  You really need to be able to lift the heat lamp up as they grow and age.
I haven't seen the £20 ones on ebay so cant comment on them.  
I've had several brooders made in ply wood just like the breeder described with a pole either side and across the top- used them for years- and i hang the heat lamp from that on a chain so it can be raised or lowered depending on what the chicks need.
It does all sound a lot of money  but believe me its only the start :blink:

I'm sure someone will have some different ideas for doing it in a more cost effective way ;)

edited to add, why not just go for  growers about 8 weeks old, they wont need heat then and will save you money and work.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 16:15 by Spana »

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 17:47 »
Spana is soo right, once you have brought up a couple of chicks you will want to do it all over again. The lamp will be a good investment. We bought a lamp and made a brooder box out of kitchen cupboards. Maybe you could pick some up for free at a local recycling center?

kegs

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 18:23 »
I've just bought a heat lamp for £16.49 from www.ascott-dairy.co.uk  :blink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 18:30 »
I have two types of brooders just in case I have a broody who doesn't take to her chicks, one is a plastic box with a red lamp in the side (high up) and a brisea electric hen which wasn't expensive. Neither of which have been used yet - they are there just in case and as the others have said an investment.
Staffies are softer than you think.

kegs

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 19:02 »
I've just had a look at the brooder boxes on ebay and I wouldn't buy one because the light is fitted to the interior of the box and fixed in one position.  I've got some 8 day old table bird chicks in a brooder box and they are already jumping as high as their water container trying to test their wings.  If they were in the ebay box they would burn themselves on the unprotected bulb.  The normal heat lamps have a wire grill attached to them to prevent this and can be raised up and down according to the temperature you need the box.  Good luck with your research.  :blink:

nic_28

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 19:30 »
really helpful replies on here as always. Typical me, I like to explore the cheapest options first!   ::)  Ill check out the link for the £16 lamp and maybe search freecycle for some plywood and rustle something up myself, Ive got leftover welsh mesh from building chicken pen also to cover the top. for 2 chicks how big should the box be?

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:49 »
I used a baby bath for when they were very small and upgraded to a very large black plastic trough type container - these were things I just happened to have around. I liked the idea of plastic at their tender age as I could ensure it was clean. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

kegs

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:55 »
This is what I did - so that doesn't mean it's the right way because I'm learning as I go along too.

Back in July I hatched some table birds and put them in the largest plastic storage box I could find in our sitting room.  They were in there for only 10 days by which time one of the chicks had managed to fly out of the box, and I could no longer stand the dust they created, so they were transferred into the large brooder set up in the garage (do not look at the mess!).  They stayed in there until they had all of their feathers and were off the heat lamp and were then transferred to their coop in the garden.  I hope that helps.  :blink:
P1020719.JPG
P1020713.JPG

tstainesmoore

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 13:38 »
Getting a heat lamp would be best because you can adjust the height and then the chicks would be able to get used to less heat over time. although they are expensive they will last for ages the plastic brooders are ok but not practical. remember when getting cream legbar chicks tehy are autosexing, so the brown chicks are hens and the grey coloured are cockerels but i rear chicks from day old in just ply wood containers or you can use cardboard box with heat lamp over the top.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 14:01 »
This is what I did - so that doesn't mean it's the right way because I'm learning as I go along too.

Back in July I hatched some table birds and put them in the largest plastic storage box I could find in our sitting room.  They were in there for only 10 days by which time one of the chicks had managed to fly out of the box, and I could no longer stand the dust they created, so they were transferred into the large brooder set up in the garage (do not look at the mess!).  They stayed in there until they had all of their feathers and were off the heat lamp and were then transferred to their coop in the garden.  I hope that helps.  :blink:

really helpful Kegs! thanks x what a great idea!

kegs

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 14:51 »
the plastic brooders are ok but not practical.

Why do you think the plastic brooder boxes aren't practical?

really helpful Kegs! thanks x what a great idea!

You're very welcome.  Although I can't take the credit for it as it was 'GrannieAnnie' who initially helped me out with the ideas for the brooder set up earlier this year.  This site is just sooo useful.  :blink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 22:33 »
for very young chicks the plastic brooders are very practical in my opinion just so long as you put something on the base to make it none slip - use something like cotton (an old pillow case would be ok). They are just so easy to clean  :)

pepsi100

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 11:03 »
IF anyone is interested, I have a spare one, I bought a smallish one on ebay, (lamp, chick feed, waterer, sawdust, had my own feeder) but as my hatch didnt happen, I dont need it now, anyone want it ?

I had it already to go, really disappointed with my non hatch
It's all about the journey, not the destination

xx
Rearing chicks?

Started by Hotbunnycharlie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 21:13
by Fifitrix
xx
Q. about rearing chicks outside with mum

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 08:45
by Sassy
xx
Rearing Chicks

Started by Russellintheundergrowth on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 09:39
by Russellintheundergrowth
xx
Newbie at rearing chicks under broody hen - help ???

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 22:56
by splash101

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 39 queries.