Q. about rearing chicks outside with mum

• 6 Replies

rosie14

Q. about rearing chicks outside with mum
« on: July 29, 2011, 23:33 »
Hi, we are hoping to be hatching 5 little girl chicks in a little over 2 weeks...hoping for all girls ha ha  :tongue2:

We're planning on moving our first time mum (Orpington-we're first timers too lol!!) to our large and high rabbit run on the lawn. Now this run is completely open with wire mesh 1cm x 1cm (roof and all) with a 3rd of the roof covered with wood for shade/rain etc. We're planning on using a rabbit hutch which is obviously completely covered/enclosed  (you know the sleeping part for bunny) but open plan inside.

We were thinking of laying a newspaper or 2 on the base and strawing out on top in the sleeping/nesting area and putting more newspaper out on the rest of the hutch and then leaving the main door open to the grass. Should I shut them in the rabbit hutch at night, the 'living' part is obviously meshed. Also does this sound OK and it will be warm enough?

thanks Rosie

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Q. about rearing chicks outside with mum
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 01:35 »
I am sure they will be warm enough - mum will look after that aspect.

Personally I would close them up at night - foxes are very resourceful and will dig under or bit through standard mesh if they think they can get into the housing. having an extra barrier of a door isnt completely safe but its a good deterrent Mr fox will look elsewhere for easier dinners
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:53 »
What you are suggesting sounds ideal, however you will find that if you put newspaper down poo will get very trodden in and yucky very quickly. Shredded paper is OK but tends to blow about and stick to their legs etc. I would put you usual bedding in on top of a layer of newspaper and leave the mum access for during the day, shutting her in for the night.
Do not use straw as the 'tubes' make perfect red mite homes. Do not use hay as it can carry fungal spores that can be a problem.

Oh yes and also make up a slurry of DE, water and a good slug of washing up liquid and paint the ENTIRE interior of her hutch, that means the roof panel to. If there is felt on the hutch and you can bring yourself to remove it get if off as it is the worst place to access to get rid of red mite.

Give mum  day or two after hatching to bond and settle into being a mum before you move her to her new pad.

You will be charmed by the whole broodie mother thing!

Orchardlady. :)

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:47 »
OMG I am already so charmed and I don't even have chicks yet, not entirely sure we'll get any but certainly trying lol, that said the Orpie is doing it all really......it's me worrying lol!

Mama to be is not even a year old yet and wise to the ways of natural rearing  :) I wish we as humans were that good at listening to our own innate instincts and behaviors.

I am planning on candling the eggs and moving her tonight as my 2 other hens have been getting in with her. That said they have not bothering her at all, she seems to accept them like normal with no 'cross words' unlike when I approach!!! The nest boxes are soooo large they'll easily take 2 large birds, all 3 have gone to roost together at times with enough room!! so I have until now left them alone, but my Welsummer the same age has today taken it upon herself very speedy to get in the nest and settle on the eggs whilst I had got mum up for her morning feed/water/stretch etc. I removed her and put mum back in no trouble. The Welsummer obv. knows what's going on, does she want to hatch the eggs for herself do you think? I wonder if I could get some for her to hatch  :nowink:

Tbh I was planning on moving her to that set up tonight in view of the Welsmmers' anctics and leaving them in the set up was my plan until I could return all to the main run with the other 2 hens when they're feathered at about 5 weeks is that ok? What's the DE mean-sorry if i'm being thick!

I'm so sorry to keep asking all these daft questions but you are the people in the 'know' lol!!  :D Thanks everyone for all your words of wisdom and helpul advice

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 13:09 »
DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth.It looks like a light grey/cream powder. It is millions of fossilised little sea creatures that when a red mite crawls across it it is like walking on broken glass. It cuts the waxy coating of the mite and so it desiccates and dies! Yipee.

To make the slurry put some DE in an old bowl and add water (or your own poultry/animal safe disinfectant) and a good slug of washing up liquid The washing up liquid helps it stick to the surfaces you paint otherwise it tends to flake and fall off at the slightest touch. It will be very lumpy so keep stirring and if needed add more water. You are aiming for the consistency of gloss paint or pouring custard. "Paint' the interior of you hutch/house/coop with this slurry paying particular attention to all nooks and carnies. It will dry very quickly in todays weather and dry a light cream colour. It then sticks to all surfaces and gives the mites an open field of the stuff to have to walk over to get to the sitting hen. You can also sprinkle DE into your birds bedding but don't be to gun ho as too much dust in the environment is not good for the birds. Also put it in their dust bath so they will self treat.

Orchardlady.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 13:32 »
DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth.It looks like a light grey/cream powder. It is millions of fossilised little sea creatures that when a red mite crawls across it it is like walking on broken glass. It cuts the waxy coating of the mite and so it desiccates and dies! Yipee.

To make the slurry put some DE in an old bowl and add water (or your own poultry/animal safe disinfectant) and a good slug of washing up liquid The washing up liquid helps it stick to the surfaces you paint otherwise it tends to flake and fall off at the slightest touch. It will be very lumpy so keep stirring and if needed add more water. You are aiming for the consistency of gloss paint or pouring custard. "Paint' the interior of you hutch/house/coop with this slurry paying particular attention to all nooks and carnies. It will dry very quickly in todays weather and dry a light cream colour. It then sticks to all surfaces and gives the mites an open field of the stuff to have to walk over to get to the sitting hen. You can also sprinkle DE into your birds bedding but don't be to gun ho as too much dust in the environment is not good for the birds. Also put it in their dust bath so they will self treat.

Orchardlady.

You may find it easier to mix by adding the DE to the liquid base.  It's less likely to form lumps.

Don't bother with the newspaper but use softwood shavings (not sawdust) preferably for litter.  This is antiseptic and doesn't produce moulds easily.
HF
Truth through science.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:45 »
I agree with Hillfooter except that the shavings on top of the newspaper means easier cleaning out :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
rearing chicks

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 10, 2011, 11:03
by pepsi100
xx
Rearing chicks?

Started by Hotbunnycharlie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 21:13
by Fifitrix
xx
Rearing Chicks

Started by Russellintheundergrowth on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 09:39
by Russellintheundergrowth
xx
First time rearing chicks...what age are these?? any advice?

Started by tegfryn on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 12:49
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.