Help - Bum Hanging low and waddling

• 41 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: April 08, 2008, 18:31 »
I have 4 wellsummers and one of them - the fluffy bit inder her vent hole seems to be hanging very low, when I felt it, it felt squishy and was white - I am just hosting a photo and will include it shortly.  She is also waddling as she walks (like shes carrying a sack of spuds between her legs)

Does any one have any ideas???  I was given some hens o replace some that were killed by and one them had no tale feathers, and waddled when she walked - I assumed because she had no tale, but now I look at her, her fluff seems quite low too.  Both the hens came from the hunters - could it be contageous?
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 19:00 »
She has some soet of big problem internally.  Is she laying  :?:

It could be egg bound, peritonitis or a tumour.  Does she seem unwell or hot   - feel under her wing and compare to another bird.

You might want to consider taking her to a vet.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 19:16 »
Not sure if shes laying, I think she may have layed her first yesterday as I had a very small blood smeared egg (4 eggs when I usually only have 3 from 5 birds).

I have already spent £95 at the vets this month on my fat obese cat - suspedted HIV - turned out to be eye infection  :evil:  Hope were going to get loads of eggs or well be going hungry this month!!!

What is you opinion on the tail - less bird who also waddles?

I will feel wings and get back to you - theyre off roaming at the moment, but they'll be back soon as it gets dark.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 20:54 »
i just went out and gave her a good looking over - she seems lively enough, the feathers around her vent are very dirty with poo blobs mangled in.  I waited for her to poo and it was very soft and all dark brown.  The other birds feel similar but not quite as squishy.  She doesnt feel hot, but I had some antibiotics on hand as I had mentioned the runny poo to the vets this week and she gave me some as a precautiion.  When I syringed it in her mouth she went a bit motionless and started opening her beek and 'gaping'.  I thought she was suffocating but when I put her back down she ran off, hopped on the perch and gave alittle squark and stopped the gaping.

The tail less bird who also waddles has got a very dirty vent aswell.  I am thinking maybe some sort of infection????  they have had coxoid treatment and flubenvet in the last 3 months.  I might see how they go over the next couple of days, if theres any sign of distress or worsening I will get them to the vets on Friday.  What do you think Aunty, could an infection be the possible cause?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 21:15 »
Yes it could be a bacterial infection, but the vet is the best person to judge.  Take a poo sample with you to the vets.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Yes it could be a bacterial infection, but the vet is the best person to judge.  Take a poo sample with you to the vets.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice.  It just goes to show, always select your birds yourself and inspect their droppings etc.  Those hunters ruined the experience of chicken keeping - I will persist with my girls and I'm sure that I will have a good flock in the end - I should never have accepted the birds in the first place.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 22:06 »
You're absolutly right pookey.  People should take care when selecting birds that they are healthy and of the age stated by the supplier.  

A healthy bird is easy to judge.  Good feathers, nice bright button eyes, smooth clean leggs, bright and active, no critters on board and nice poos  :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 22:10 »
pookey, dont be dis-heartened, these are lucky chooks, because they now have you looking out for them.

that can only be a good thing  :)

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 22:16 »
You're absolutly right pookey.  People should take care when selecting birds that they are healthy and of the age stated by the supplier.  

A healthy bird is easy to judge.  Good feathers, nice bright button eyes, smooth clean leggs, bright and active, no critters on board and nice poos  :lol:

I went to my local Sunday market last week (they let anyone sell anything!) and someone was selling chickens and ducks and they were just shoving 3+ large birds into mail sacks and letting people take them away.  Their poo was runny too but is it any surprise in those conditions.    My vet couldnt believe I would pay bills over £100 for my cats, she said people put them down if a bill is over £50 and I was the first person with pet insurance!!!!  I think Ireland isnt the same as England for animal lovers.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 22:17 »
:D oooo Aunty you and your poos :shock:   LOL

You give such good advice.

Pookey, hope everything goes well :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 22:25 »
Babe is quite rght, they are lucky birds to have a caring owner.

I think I'll rope you all in to help me with poo pictures.  All take pictures and PM them to me.  I'll compile the definitive work and post it in Poultry Information.   You'll all get a credit in the write up.

I'm not joking, it's a good idea  :idea:

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 22:32 »
I totally agree, I'll get some poo pics as I've got some odd looking ones, think you may have already seen my posts Aunt Sally.  It will be good to see if it's normal or not so we don't have to worry.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 22:34 »
Babe is quite rght, they are lucky birds to have a caring owner.

I think I'll rope you all in to help me with poo pictures.  All take pictures and PM them to me.  I'll compile the definitive work and post it in Poultry Information.   You'll all get a credit in the write up.

I'm not joking, it's a good idea  :idea:

Great idea, I will definately do that if you really want poo pictures, my girls are free range and poo all over my concrete yard, so its easy to photograph on concrete.  I have a good camera so should be clear images.  Books generally steer clear of those sort of graphics!!

Confirm your serious before I go on a poo exploration tomorrow.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 22:36 »
Yes I'm serious !!!!

Send me your poo pictures with a brief description and any symptoms the chooks may have.

Normal poos too as they can vary a lot !

What an exciting life I lead  :roll:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 22:41 »
yeah, lets all take some poo pictures, because my neighbours dont think im mad enough yet :roll:

can you imagine if you committed a crime and your pc were checked out.

i can see the headlines...

xx
chick waddling and falling over

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 19:47
by maggiem
xx
Mucky bottom, waddling and hunched up.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 13:30
by helens-hens
xx
Chicken unwell very swollen between legs and waddling

Started by Speckly Sarah on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 18:03
by Speckly Sarah
xx
Young Legbar cross hen withair under her skin.. looked more like a waddling duck

Started by 3xchestnuts on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 22:30
by 3xchestnuts

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.