worming free ranging hens

• 4 Replies

callysauz

worming free ranging hens
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:16 »
hi there,  can anyone tell me the best way to worm hens which free range.  although i do put out grain for them to peck at in the day, they are not usually very interested in it so it would not be possible to add it to their feed and although they a clean water source with added vits they seem to find water in puddles more appetizing.  the flock is 12 months old and i have not really felt the need to worm as they are extermely health birds but three weeks ago one of my jersey giants started to fall over and now she seems top heavy whereby if she puts her head down to fed she does a nose dive and ends up struggling to get up again.  ive looked up causes and ruled out maraks (although i cant say im experienced enough to make that guess) and she did fall off the garden wall around about the same time the problem started so maybe she has some damage....on-line there is some suggestion that internal parasites can cause paralasis in chickens so this is why im asking the HOW DO YOU question.  cheers  :wacko:

ehs284

Re: worming free ranging hens
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34 »
You can't worm whilst they free range; in fact trying to do so will lead to resistance to the vermicide in the worm population. They have to be held in a run for the week. They won't be happy, but there really is no choice.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:40 »
Exactly  :)  You have to add it to their food to make sure they get it. Once they've had the course then they can be left to free range.  Flubenvet is the wormer of choice and will do the job thoroughly. Vermex is more of a preventative measure but probably won't kill worms if they get them

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 20:01 »
Some members use half grape to put a daily dose of flubenvet on for each hen.  Dosage would be hard to gauge but it is possible.  I hope this helps.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 00:05 »
Every 3-4 months I make up a weeks worth of layers pellets with Flubenvet and they have that for a week with less treats so they actually eat the pellets! :D

Seems to keep our girls ok.

xx
Worming + Roaming/ free ranging?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 18:55
by Goldfinger
xx
Worming with Flubenvet. Free ranging.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:40
by orchardlady
xx
Free Ranging??

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 20:28
by Lemon
xx
free ranging

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 20:48
by rachelr

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 39 queries.