3 Hens 2 Eggs

• 8 Replies

jimroden

• Experienced Member
3 Hens 2 Eggs
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:26 »
Hello all
As the subject say's i have 3 hens and only two egg's every day we get 2 egg's ( And wow are they nice taisting). All three are feed layers pellet's and corn mix, for about 4 weeks now we have been geting 2 egg's but one is obviously not laying how do i find out which one is not laying. I was thinking of caging them for a few day's but feel bad for the two that are laying.

Jim

Dont tell lies you get in trouble

poultrygeist

Re: 3 Hens 2 Eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:37 »
Hi Jim.

If you can watch them for a while (prob early morning) and see which ones go in, then check if there's an egg. Might be lucky and find out that way.

Or see if they're all crouching for you. If only 2 do it, you can take a guess at who's not ready yet.

How old are they ??

Rob

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:42 »
Hi Jim.

If you can watch them for a while (prob early morning) and see which ones go in, then check if there's an egg. Might be lucky and find out that way.

Or see if they're all crouching for you. If only 2 do it, you can take a guess at who's not ready yet.

How old are they ??

Rob

I got them at 12 weeks in september what. What do you mean crouch?

Jim

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:46 »
They should crouch down as if waiting for the cockerel to tread them when they are in lay.

Not all of ours do (they all lay well) but it's a good sign of coming into lay.

Forgot to ask what breed as well. Could just be the time of year and she's waiting for spring to go boing before bothering. Or they may be takign turns at it and only lay every couple of days or so.

Rob

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 13:02 »
They should crouch down as if waiting for the cockerel to tread them when they are in lay.

Not all of ours do (they all lay well) but it's a good sign of coming into lay.

Forgot to ask what breed as well. Could just be the time of year and she's waiting for spring to go boing before bothering. Or they may be takign turns at it and only lay every couple of days or so.

Rob

God damn it rob when the chooks did that i thought it was because they were enjoying being fussed did not realise it was becaus ethey want nookie. There is one that does not do it but does run off.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 13:12 »
 :D

They're a frisky lot these hens !

It must be your aftershave.  :unsure:

The top hens seem to be less romatically inclined. Maybe that's just our lot. As soon as I walk towards their gate a couple squat down. This is an indicator to the others to bully them but they won't move out of the way until I shoo them.
I've only got experience of amberlinks so I don't know when other breeds come into lay but I knw it can take a few months for some of the pure breeds. They lay for years so it's made up for through their lives.

Rob

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 13:17 »
:D

They're a frisky lot these hens !

It must be your aftershave.  :unsure:

The top hens seem to be less romatically inclined. Maybe that's just our lot. As soon as I walk towards their gate a couple squat down. This is an indicator to the others to bully them but they won't move out of the way until I shoo them.
I've only got experience of amberlinks so I don't know when other breeds come into lay but I knw it can take a few months for some of the pure breeds. They lay for years so it's made up for through their lives.

Rob

mine a rhode island reds

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 14:09 »
I think they can take a few months to kick start, especially over winter. Might make a difference where they come in the pecking order.

Rob

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:13 »
i have 3 hens and i only get 2eggs and i  no which onces are laying. i think the 3rd hen lays every once in a GOOD WHILE. at the moment iam just hoping its to do with the cold weather. fingers crossed for the both of us. i all so thought she maybe egg bound but she is eating drinking and doing what every health hen does.
if you have chickens you have rats

xx
4 hens only 3 eggs!!

Started by lynnsb on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 19:14
by tesni
question
3 hens, 5 eggs?!*

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 20:56
by emmaellis
xx
4 hens 3 eggs

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:24
by rachelr
xx
Help! Hens eating eggs

Started by Seppfire on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 12:45
by Railside Rooster

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 39 queries.