cider vineger

• 23 Replies

kimjen

cider vineger
« on: March 21, 2011, 20:35 »
can someone tell me what cider vineger does for hens and if it works / how often should it be used, im a newbe so need loads of help please [i have a lot of questions thanks everyone

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: cider vineger
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 21:07 »
Useful addition to the poultry diet maintaining inner health, promoting effective food utilization and optimizing appearance Can also be used to treat minor wounds and skin irritations (at a dose of no more than 1 part to 10),  sprayed into and around housing as a very effective fly and insect deterrent. Also boosts the Immune system of the bird if they are a bit under the weather.(do not use in galvanized drinkers of course) unpasturised apple cider vinegar retains all the goodness.A good source of Vitamins A & C, and minerals calcium and phosphorous, to support the immune system and maintain vitality and good feather condition.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

kimjen

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 22:16 »
thanks al hathaway' can i use it as often as i want

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 22:33 »
my husband keeps it in ours all the time he uses it as a preventive rather than a cure

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 22:55 »
I mix a couple of teaspoons into their pellet mash all the time and the hens have lovely plumage and never get ill.

skelly

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:34 »
Does any cider vinegar do? Or do you get certain stengths? Can you add to water etc?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:38 »
you get the rough stuff from horsey places. It has the mother bits still floating in it unlike the supermarket stuff. If you have a galvanised drinker then don't use that. You mix it at a ratio of approx 25mls per litre and it is always wise to have another drinkwer with plain water as not all chickens will like it and then they can dehydrate.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 15:27 »
you get the rough stuff from horsey places. It has the mother bits still floating in it unlike the supermarket stuff. If you have a galvanised drinker then don't use that. You mix it at a ratio of approx 25mls per litre and it is always wise to have another drinkwer with plain water as not all chickens will like it and then they can dehydrate.
A very good tip  ;)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 16:48 »
Personally I think it's a bit like that white powder I sprinkle round my chicken run to deter elephants.  It's very effective so far I've not had one chicken stamped on by an elephant and they all have lovely glossy feathers too. :D
HF
Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 17:06 »
I don't use ACV.  I don't use that anti elephant dust either HF.  I believe it has a very bad halucinatory side effects on the users.  :lol:

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 20:57 »
 :lol: I'll send you some it's probably not as effective as that limestone flour but you won't care.
HF

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 21:03 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

skelly

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:17 »
Got some cider vinegar. Put it in the water and they are going mental for it. Will be interesting to see if feathers etc improve.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:16 »
The farm I got my pullets from recommended using cider vinegar in between worming treatments to help keep the worms at bay as it slightly alters the gut environment (makes it more alkaline?? - my chemistry is rusty!) which makes it less hospitable to worms.

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23 »
It tastes very good indeed!  I've tried it and I like it so I expect the girls will too

I bought some for me from Ostlers and I mixed it with fresh orange juice and spring water. Very refreshing and pleasant.  This was after my builder added the chooks ACV to his cooked beetroot. He took some every day to keep him in good nick the same as his 80 hens, one of which was 8 years old  :)  The Ostlers one still contains the mother unlike the supermarket culinary ones

question
Cider vinegar Vs Apple cider vineger?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 18:44
by Goldfinger
xx
How much Cider Apple Vineger.

Started by BestBreast on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 21:48
by BestBreast
xx
apple cider vineger

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 20:34
by andy46
xx
Apple cider vineger - supermarkets own!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 16:47
by Wyandottie

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 35 queries.