Fertile eggs and broody - any advice now

• 4 Replies

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« on: May 27, 2008, 21:32 »
I have just been made an offer of some fertile Pekin eggs to sit under one of my old ladies who is broody.

I tried this last year. 6 eggs came by post and I had no success with them. The chook did seem to try hard to keep them covered.

Was 6 too many? Should I have made the nest box more homely? Could it be that the mail delivery was just a bad idea?

Tomorrow I am going to pick the eggs up. I believe that they are currently in an incubator. I will talk with the kind people Willow Cottage Chickens, listed in the chicken suppliers list on this forum, but I wondered if anyone else has any advice for me.

Any special advice for transporting them? I'll need to drive about 45 minutes with them.

I probably sound a bit daft, but I am really excited. Chickens do seem to make people daft.

Thanks in advance.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 21:41 »
not mcuh advice as never travelled with eggs to hatch, but chook can sit on up tp 12 eggs i would say 6 is a good number tho. good luck.
 :D

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 21:50 »
Bigdaddy - 45miles should be fine with eggs -but not if they are already in an incubator that would mean the eggs are starting to develop.
All you need are freshly laid eggs under a week old preferably and stored in a cool place.
Has your broody already got crock eggs under her?That would be a good idea to make sure she is sitting tight.
Finally, once you are home allow the eggs to rest for about 12 hours at room temperature before slipping under the hen.
Good luck!  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 21:52 »
if the eggs are in an incubator now they will probably fail to hatch they must have been reasonably fresh layed . no more than 9 days ago .the longer they are left without incubation the more chance of failure .to match them with a broody .put the hen in a broody box with the eggs under here a day after you recieve the eggs they must settle as the the pip will have been jostled about in transit . when you have settled them in the nest put the broody in and shut her in for 24 hours to get her fully setting. after this if she is sitting you can allow her out for 15 mins twice a day to feed or poop etc if she dosnt want to get off dont force her for a couple of days ,then she wil be made to come off and feed etc she wil return soon after , just allow her to do this for a few days and as i usually do let her do her own thing . then sit back and wait feed her and make sure she has plenty of water ,feed her greens ,dandelions letuce chopped cabbage etc .when the chicks come let them be dont mess with them until they want to come out and meet the world .you can start to feed chickweed to the hen and chicks now make sure they have chick crumb to feed on dont let the hen get to this by putting some wire over the crumb tray/ feed and water them feed the hen her normal food now with more greens and even insects ,maggots etc  .if you search maggots in the forums you will find a tip for getting your own maggot supply from me  :)
still alive /............

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 22:17 »
Thanks for the advice.

I'll check how old the eggs are, but I imagine the people at Willow's know what they are doing, its just me that doesn't.

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 38 queries.