ground cover plants?

• 9 Replies

kentishgal

ground cover plants?
« on: March 23, 2012, 17:31 »
Im currently planting up my borders with fruit along the fences and informal herb beds below. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could put in there that would grow low to the ground and fit in with a country kitchen garden feel?
Doesnt have to be herbs but I would prefer something that matched the 'theme'!!
thanks....

Spana

Re: ground cover plants?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 17:41 »
Poached egg plant :)

kentishgal

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 14:45 »
wow,no other replies?
I was hoping someone might at least have come up with the chamomile and thyme I was already considering!! :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 15:00 »
sorry I missed this......... I presume it's a sunny site?

Purple thyme is easy from seed, as are chives, garlic chives and pot marigold of course. There's pink Arabis ..............erm............Stachys Lanata (Lambs Tongues).......erm..........any of the rockery sedums or campanulas .

Anthemis there's a pretty single white that looks like ox eye daisies or the yellow double one  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 15:05 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 16:23 »
Marjoram and oregano are good spreaders and there are loads of kinds of thymes with different foliage.  Alpine strawberries are good as well and dead easy from seed.  I have them planted under small plum and quince trees.

Lemon balm is another, but its a bit invasive so pick your spot with that one  :)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 16:46 »
I love the creeping pholoxes - not much grows through that mat  :D Same with snow-in-summer and some of the sempervivem creepers. I've also started growing the small hens and chickens for ground cover and they're loving their new homes. Just 'mulch' with pea gravel to keep them from getting soggy on the leaves. Candy tuft is another that will creep though a bit taller but not by much. There's also a creeping zinnia that's supposed to be gorgeous. And of course, sweet woodruff. The latter can get pushy but just grab a handful and yank it out and all is under control again.

I'd really think carefully about lemon balm; had it once and it was a beast to get rid of as it tried to take over the world.

Stree

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19 »
Periwinkle. Vinca Minor

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 14:17 »
I'd recommend the rockery campanulas too - there are many varieties but the one I've got forms nicely rounded and mounded low clumps about 18" in diameter, with blue flowers quite early in the season. The foliage is light green (and evergreen.)

Can't say I wouldn't have lemon balm in my garden because I have, the main reason being that it seeds all over the place and is very hard to get rid of (I suppose you could say that it certainly does cover the ground, although possibly not just the ground you want to have covered!)  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 16:09 »
Periwinkle. Vinca Minor

True, they're dependable, but they'll also quickly smother an area in their thick woody mat. Not at all something I'd use for a country kitchen garden.

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 18:35 »
Alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle)?  As long as you cut off the flowers before they go to seed it won't invade too much & it used to be used in herbal medicine so  there is a kind of link to the herb garden. What about everbearing/alpine strawberries?
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
ground cover plants

Started by davmabz on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 20:28
by Spana
xx
Ground cover

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 05:27
by greetwellboy
xx
Ground cover ideas

Started by Flowertot on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 13:46
by Flowertot
xx
Cheap interesting ground cover

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 08:23
by New shoot

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 30 queries.