Potting bench from scrounged parts

• 18 Replies

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
Potting bench from scrounged parts
« on: April 03, 2011, 19:10 »
took about an hour and a half to knock together out of old wood that ive scrounged and gathered over the last several months including some from a demolished food plant site then the tongue and grooved top is the front wood from the outside of a neighbours bay window when she had her windows replaced :-)

Looks a bit bodged but frankly i dont care and it'll save my back and give us a nice large area for potting etc.

Ill add a few struts horizontally on the legs about 12 inches off the ground and then as I get more bits of wood shall add another shelf.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 19:12 by mumofstig »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Potting bench from scrounged parts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 19:16 »
Very frugal, I like it! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 21:16 »
 :D

looking again at it I might also put an upright edge around the outside to stop compost rolling off the edges when I get something suitable :-)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 15:55 »

I suggest adding struts at 45 degrees between the top and legs.  You don't want it to slowly tip to the left or right just when you have your hands full of seedlings.  :ohmy:  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

240173paul

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 19:27 »
You could cut a hole in the top and countersink a washing up bowl for you potting compost ;)

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 20:06 »

I suggest adding struts at 45 degrees between the top and legs.  You don't want it to slowly tip to the left or right just when you have your hands full of seedlings.  :ohmy:  Cheers,   Tony.

I see what youre saying but it doesnt need it as its all right angled as opposed to all being set linear but i do want some horizontal struts to then put a shelf underneath too to make good use of the space.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 20:07 »
You could cut a hole in the top and countersink a washing up bowl for you potting compost ;)

That means buying a bowl which isnt frugal :-)
anyway, I'll just put the bag of compost on top :-)

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01 »
Tidy job that.

Stick some diagonal struts in, as advised, though otherwise you may find it'll develop a lean!

My greenhouse staging and shed shelves are all made of this sort of construction, I've used pallet wood and the nails out of pallets to bang mine together, with a few screws on any loose joints.  I do love turning a bleak looking pallet into some functional, and the feel of wood is so much nicer than metal constructions sold in garden centres and the like.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:00 »

looking again at it I might also put an upright edge around the outside to stop compost rolling off the edges when I get something suitable :-)

Nice piece of work this!

Suggest don't edge around the whole table though, because you can be sure that your seed trays etc will want to overlap the edge a little, and they can't be level if there's an upstand.

Why not make a smaller compost trowelling box, say a 6" high box, 2'0"x1'6" with a plywood bottom, and the front side cut away, and facing you. That way, you can fill it with compost, trowel easier, and pot away to your heart's content, and then when you've finished, you can lift it off and keep it somewhere dry, and all those trays can spread all over the table, and a little bit beyond the edge!

I only know this because I had the same situation!

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:37 »
Nice bench Paul here is mine I added a shelf underneath

At the moment I am working on more grow bag holders

and I have just started wotrk on a new fence, this will take a little longer though

I am lucky as most of our large products come on one way pallets which were then burnt, they are now put aside for me :)

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:46 »

Nice piece of work this!

Suggest don't edge around the whole table though, because you can be sure that your seed trays etc will want to overlap the edge a little, and they can't be level if there's an upstand.

Why not make a smaller compost trowelling box, say a 6" high box, 2'0"x1'6" with a plywood bottom, and the front side cut away, and facing you. That way, you can fill it with compost, trowel easier, and pot away to your heart's content, and then when you've finished, you can lift it off and keep it somewhere dry, and all those trays can spread all over the table, and a little bit beyond the edge!

I only know this because I had the same situation!

Good idea :-)

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 09:47 »

I like those but what on earth is a grow bag holder?

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 17:40 »

I like those but what on earth is a grow bag holder?

Ditto!  Are you going to plant along the thin edge?

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 20:37 »
Thats the idea anyway, to save space and to have more plants in my section of the polytunnel, I am planning on making another six, I may make the others slightly wider so the bag flattens out a bit mainly they are for different types of toms my melons I will grow in a big box of compost.
I am also planning on fitting a drip feed system to keep them watered if I can not make it over there for any reason.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 20:57 »
Very frugal lads!  like the benches and the compost bag holder Kevin!  I'd agree about making the rest of them a little wider, as you know how packed tight the compost is in the bags, best if they can be loosened up, which will make them a bit wider.  Interesting idea though!

Here is my pallet wood fence that Brian made for me, although now after 6 years, it looks a bit more tired! lol
fence.JPG

xx
Bargain Potting Bench

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2022, 19:55
by New shoot
xx
cheap potting table

Started by Charlie on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 15:56
by kennykoala

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.