Slug Traps

• 4 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Slug Traps
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:16 »
Have a supply of less than wild life friendly slug pellets in the garage, so am using half pop bottles buried in the ground - where the slugs can get at them, but hopefully nothing else - so far have caught quite a few. What's the safest way to dispose of the resulting yuck though - can I put it on the compost heap - although I guess it could kill off any slugs lurking there - would that be such a bad thing?
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

WG.

Slug Traps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:19 »
:?:  but then the harmful metaldehydes would be "in circulation" as it were.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Slug Traps
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:27 »
Slugs are an important part of the decomposition process in the garden so the only safe place for them in my garden is the compost heap, I wouldn't put your goo in there, you could always dig a small hole a drop the goo into it, keep it covered with a brick to stop wildlife getting to it.

Not all slug pellets contain metaldehydes some contain methiocarb instead.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Slug Traps
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:02 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Not all slug pellets contain metaldehydes some contain methiocarb instead.

Also thiodicarb, although that's mostly used in agricultural preparations rather than commercially available horticultural pellets.

Interestingly, metaldehyde was only found to kill the little * by accident in the 1930s - it's the main constituent of "Meta" solid fuel.  It's harmless to other invertebrates (worms, beetles etc) but highly toxic to vertebrates (frogs, birds etc).

Methiocarb was introduced in the 60s, and that's actually an insecticide - it acts as a stomach poison.

Before these were discovered, inorganics such as copper sulphate, aluminium sulphate, calcium arsenate (nice!), potassium chloride, iron sulphate and Paris green were used, but metaldehyde remains the most effective slug poison available.

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Slug Traps
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 16:08 »
Whoops, I er um already dumped the first lot on the compost heap. So, hopefully, it will degenerate? Or maybe I ought to go down and dig it out, I know just where it is !!!  Checked the tub - it contains 3% ww metaldehyde.

clip
Pop Bottle Slug Traps

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 16:45
by cadalot
xx
Slug off

Started by RJR_38 on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 20:38
by Peas let my pumpkins grow
xx
B&Q Slug pellets

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2022, 07:37
by Blewit
xx
Slug Pellets

Started by luke34 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 13:23
by Jackiekaye

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.