How much wood

• 33 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
How much wood
« on: August 15, 2008, 21:39 »
How much wood do you need to store for a log burner to take you through the winter ?? had a guess at about 4 cubic yards of logs.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
How much wood
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 21:55 »
how big is the burner?  the larger the burner the more it will take, but if it's large it will be more economical as smaller one's tend to need more stocking up to keep them hot.

Don't know on the math of it all tho  :?

agapanthus

Re: How much wood
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 21:57 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
4 cubic yards of logs.

how many is that :?  :?  :?  :oops:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 21:58 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
4 cubic yards of logs.

Lots  :lol:  :lol:

It's a 7.5kw log burner Snoozi

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 22:01 »
4 cubic yards of logs.

Lots  :lol:  :lol:

Cool!!!!!  8)  8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 23:09 »
Cool!!!!!  8)  8)

Surely that should be,

Hot!!!!!  8)  8)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Poolfield2

How much wood
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 23:49 »
Bad news is that when we were relying on wood as our only heat source used in an 8Kw woodburner, we used 1.25 tons in 6 weeks in the coldest part of the winter. We had 3 deliveries plus some from our demolition/renovation work in one winter.

A bonus is you get mighty warm cutting and heaving it around :lol:  :lol:

Trillium

How much wood
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 04:28 »
We call them either face cords - 4ft high x 1 ft wide x 8 ft long  or
bush cords  4ft high x 4 ft wide x 8 ft long.

We use close to one bush cord a winter, but it's not our primary heating source. A friend has a wood burning furnace and uses 4-6 bush cords per winter. Yes, this is a lot of wood  :wink:  All depends on how cold your winter is, and ours gets pretty cold for a long time.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
How much wood
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 20:30 »
I'll keep chopping then  :D

Fortunately it's not our only heatsource, but last year it more or less kept the whole house bearable if not warm, living room was just plain hot  :lol:  mind you I think we must have got through a 100 broken pallets but they burn real fast.

Poolfield2

How much wood
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 21:23 »
The pallets are scary, they pop and bang! Do you go skip dipping for wood?

We have been cutting up a fallen apple tree and a branch off a chestnut that came down in a storm recently and I have the 2 old metal oil tanks full of wood again. It's a good feeling knowing we have dry wood ready.

Our youngest son has just returned from Peru and has invited 6 friends to stay and they were cold so they've started on my wood pile already :shock:

Trillium

How much wood
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 03:28 »
Pallets are usually soft wood which contain lots of resin which is what you hear popping, along with moisture. They also burn fast for that reason - they have their own accelerant  :wink:  Big problem with skids and soft wood is that all that resin turns into creosote which gums up your chimney and requires frequent brushing to avoid chimney fires (and mega insurance rate hikes).
Richy, try to get some sort of fan system going when you're using your stove/burner to push the excessive heat out of that one room into others. First thing we did was to install ceiling fans, and also have a special heat-propelled fan that sits on the stove to push the heat around.

We use only hardwood which is over 1 yr dry; we get a good hot long burn out of it. Only softwood we use is startup kindling.

matron

How much wood
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 19:58 »
We currently have approx 10 of the ton builders bags of logs for our 2 log burners but we are always on the look out for more. On Sunday we collected a beech tree trunk (just cut into trunk rounds) which we had 'won' on ebay. OH has made a log splitter that attaches to his mini digger and uses the hydrolics - just push a lever and it slices through the wood. Mind you, you won't need to light the log burner because the chopping will keep you warm.  :lol:  :lol:

Trillium

How much wood
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 21:59 »
It's true, matron, chopping wood heats you twice, sometimes three times  :wink:  :lol:

poultrygeist

How much wood
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 22:11 »
Something very primal about chopping wood too  :viking:

I've been stripped down to t shirt in the depths of winter before now after 10 minutes of sawing and chopping. All by hand. And then you go indoors and have to open a window to cool down while everyone else complains  :roll:

Rob 8)

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
How much wood
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 17:10 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
We call them either face cords - 4ft high x 1 ft wide x 8 ft long  or
bush cords  4ft high x 4 ft wide x 8 ft long.

We use close to one bush cord a winter, but it's not our primary heating source. A friend has a wood burning furnace and uses 4-6 bush cords per winter. Yes, this is a lot of wood  :wink:  All depends on how cold your winter is, and ours gets pretty cold for a long time.

We just referred to "Cords", 4ft x 4ft x 8ft. 4 cu yds seems a bit over the top (nearly 23 cord), at prices these days it may be cheaper to use oil or gas. I don't think you would need that much. I have around 3 cord at present with another 5 or 6 cord available when I can extract it from the heap of brush, dirt and trees (about 12ft high and 50ft dia.). I shall have to learn to drive the 8ton Hitachi digger to pull it out. I have driven a 4 tonner but my mate sold that.

If you are using an open fire, don't burn wood on a firestool or bars. Always burn the wood on a bed of ash, this slows down the burning rate and produces a steady heat. I made a stainless steel pan to fit the hearth and hold the ashes. When it is cleaned out part of the ash is left in the pan.

xx
What to do with odd bits of wood!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 22:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
spare wood LOL

Started by Beetroot queen on Frugal Living

25 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 16:12
by Trillium
xx
free wood

Started by big green bloke on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 09:10
by Zeb
moved
MOVED: Wood ash.

Started by Yorkie on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post January 31, 2022, 20:54
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 35 queries.