talking about apples...

• 19 Replies

Lynne

talking about apples...
« on: November 22, 2007, 14:26 »
Seeing the thread below made me think. I went to an autumn fair a couple of years ago and bought some gorgeous local apples that tasted great.

I would like to grow apples at the allotment, but as we are not allowed tree, I wondered if anyone knew of a cordon (step over) type apple that produces tasty fruit?
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 15:47 »
Ah,there's the rub..... so Hamlet once said!
Recommending apples seems to be just a matter of taste. I want to grow cordons too and went to the RHS apple day at Harlow Carr for advice. The Northern Fruit Group recommended an apple after asking me " what type of apples do you like and what do you want it for?" Some people like Golden Delicious type apples some coxs.
They did recommend that you buy trees on St Julien rootstock and buy maiden trees even though you might have to wait a bit longer for the apples. They also thought buying trees from nurseries in this country was a better idea eg RV Rogers rather than Ken Muir, Marshalls, T&M who import them from Holland.
I'm going on a grafting course in March to make my own trees for £1 each and learning about training them and pruning - all free courtesy of NFG!  A bargain ( I hope) for £5 a year.
monica

Lynne

talking about apples...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 15:59 »
Wow! That should be a great course pepper. I like apples that are crunchy and not too sweet. I hate the floury type.

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 20:28 »
I like cox apples but apparently they don't do well in the North.
As I wanted a dual purpose apple - Charles Ross or James Grieve were recommended but I'm really undecided.
The Cobra (COx and BRAmley cross) sounds very interesting. Has anybody any info about it?

mkhenry

Re: talking about apples...
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 20:57 »
Quote from: "Lynne"
Seeing the thread below made me think. I went to an autumn fair a couple of years ago and bought some gorgeous local apples that tasted great.

I would like to grow apples at the allotment, but as we are not allowed tree, I wondered if anyone knew of a cordon (step over) type apple that produces tasty fruit?

I don't think for a small garden or lottie where size is a problem and you cannot grow a cox that you can't beat a russet.

A local russet will have all the flavour you need and should be hardy needing less looking after then most imported trees.
I think that when it comes to apples in particular local is best. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 08:51 »
I never thought of growing "local" - that has started a whole new train of thought in my mind. I will have to do some research on the Internet to see what is local in Yorkshire as my knowledge of apples is limited.

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 08:53 »
I never thought of growing "local" - that has started a whole new train of thought in my mind. I will have to do some research on the Internet to see what is local in Yorkshire as my knowledge of apples is limited. I like the idea :D

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 08:53 »
I never thought of growing "local" - that has started a whole new train of thought in my mind. I will have to do some research on the Internet to see what is local in Yorkshire as my knowledge of apples is limited. I like the idea :D

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 08:54 »

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:55 »

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 08:55 »

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 08:56 »

gobs

talking about apples...
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 16:33 »
It is quite a good idea to go for as local,  as you can get.

This is a good site to look for info on varieties, even if they sold out of a lot of things now, will give you a lot of ideas and maybe you can find somewhere else, what you are after.  Didn't you say you were going to graft your own, then it's no problem. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

pepper

• Experienced Member
talking about apples...
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 19:00 »
Ooops don't know how I managed to make multiple posts - slight hiccup there.  :?  :?
Yes gobs I'm going on a grafting course on the 1st March so I probably will make a choice from what's on offer there.
I tried to find out about "local" apples - not quite as straightforward as I thought it would be. The people who seem to know are all members of the NFG so I'll have to ask them at the next pruning meeting.

Ice

• muck spreader
talking about apples...
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 19:17 »
I would forget growing apples Pepper, seems like they repeat on you. :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
talking about potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 16:40
by Mr Dog
xx
Talking Manure Here

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 10:31
by johnnyboy
xx
Talking Tomato plants.

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 08:53
by DIGGER
xx
talking seed potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 16, 2021, 11:30
by JacsH

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 35 queries.