the plot next to me is mine if i want it, shall i take it??????????

• 27 Replies

maxyboo

I'm with the majority. If there is no  waiting list and you are keen to try, then give it a go. You could try some squashes/pumpkins etc that like to sprawl and have a lovely flower bed and won't need to squeeze everything you still want to grow in the remaing area of your current plot. Make sure hubby is prepared to help as well. :)

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
i  have read this thread with interst as I have just taken on another 1/2 allotment.  My large lottie is 7.5 miles away from my house and I found I was missing out on a lot of veggies as I can/could only get there once a week.  This meant things like beans, PSP had often gone over when I got there. This Large (older) lottie is going to be used for veggies that take longer to grow such as parsnips, pumpkins etc.  I put my name for a lottie around the corner from me stating I be happy with a 1/2 allotment.  I was lucky to get one at Easter.  I am really pleased at this point it is a 1/2 plot as the full ones look huge and intimidating.  My Large lottie is basically sorted for the year except for the planting etc, but its taken me 3 years to get to this point.  An allotment can seem to take over and this needs to be kept in perspective but it brings me so much joy the work is worth it.  I'm going to use my little lottie for those crops that I pick as I need as it is literally 5 mins walk away.  I can't wait for the strawberries etc. My current plan is to spend a good few hours once a week at the Large Lottie and evening/mornings at the Little lottie. 

By the way my OH is also keen for me to grow all sorts of things and tells people what he is growing on his allotment.  I let him get away with it as he has done a lot of the heavy digging & constructed my raised beds etc.  Since thats been done he will only get involved with potatoes for some reason - I grow beans as a reward.   ::) But I agree with the others - get hubby involved, its a great way to spend the afternoon together and having some digging done. ;).  And think about what time you can realistically spend on it.  Most of all - enjoy! :D
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

emptydraw

I also find it useful to remember why you are allotmenting. Personally, I'm trying to learn about growing fruit & veg, keeping fit and eating fresh, tasty produce, all whilst having fun. I'm not trying to impress the neighbours the allotment committee, council, and a few weeds dotted around arent going to hurt anyone. if its a bit untidy who cares. I have to have a life outside of the allotment too... the only way to a happy life is balance. IMHO!

grendel

I have two half plots each on different sites, and have to say that without a rotovator with which I can dig over a half plot in 2 hours, so now it gets turned over at least once a fortnight, until a section is planted. now I can complete the unplanted sections of both sites in 2 hours. personally thats about all I can manage with the spare time I have at the moment, next week I have a new job, part time 2 - 3 days a week, so I hope to be able to devote more time to the plots and other jobs needed
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
I would LOVE another half plot and at this time of year am starting to begrudge the three beds taken up by garlic, onions/shallots and potatoes which are all crops that we use on an almost daily basis but which take up so much precious space for so much of the growing season.  I would also love to grow more fruit bushes and have an asparagus bed.  

I think I have squeezed the maximum production capacity out of my 5 rod plot - including hanging strawberry pots, cordon fruit trees and tomato hanging baskets!  I even reduced the width of the paths to increase the growing area last year.

I am on the list for another half plot but think the list is long - getting one near my existing plot would be the icing on the cake for me but in all fairness, there aren't too many slouchers on our site so I think I will have a long wait.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Kirpi

I feel so long as you would be prepared to give one plot up if there came a waiting list for newcomers to enjoy what you already enjoy then go for it. Far better than letting it go to seed and sending weeds your way. What I dont like to see is people taking up territory just because its vacant and then not giving it back to the society if there cojes a demand for plots, leaving newcomers without a chance of coming on.

I am sure that is not the position in your case.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I feel so long as you would be prepared to give one plot up if there came a waiting list for newcomers to enjoy  what you already enjoy then go for it. Far better than letting it go to seed and sending weeds your way. What I dont like to see is people taking up territory just because its vacant and then not giving it back to the society if there cojes a demand for plots, leaving newcomers without a chance of coming on.

I am sure that is not the position in your case.

As on many previous occasions (not with you, kirpi!) I disagree  :)

If there is no waiting list, then someone by taking on a vacant plot will mean a) that the condition of the site is maintained, and b) that the existence of the site is less likely to be under threat owing to full occupancy.

If someone subsequently comes along and decides that they want to take up this growing lark, I think it is wrong that someone who has put time and effort into taking on that plot should be made to give it up.  They would constantly have the threat of eviction over their heads, which isn't right.

They should then wait their turn rather than expect to get a properly gardened plot taken off someone.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kirpi

Not "taken off" Yorkie, but handed over to a new gardener and if need be, coached by more experienced gardeners until able to do it by themselves or have proven their ability to maintain a plot. Too many times a newbie comes along to try this allotment lark as you say, but they are given no help at all to learn all there is to an allotment. Is it their fault entirely then when it all goes wrong. I feel there needs to be a greater community spirit on our allotments again, especially where newcomers are concerned.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I agree with the community spirit, but I feel we are getting into semantics on the central point.

Whether you call it "taken off" or "handed over", it's still being forced to give up the right to garden as you wish, on a plot you previously had, because a newcomer has come along and isn't prepared to wait their turn.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
well folks thanks for all those replies, i havent been on the forum for a couple of weeks,
(a wet holiday in cornwall). weeds everywhere when i got back, im sure they werent this bad last year - was that because it was dryer in the spring??

so.... what did i do...?? i didnt take it, i thought it would be just too much work for a newbie to tackle, i want to be able to keep on top of the one ive got which seems time consuming and difficult enough.  i also realised that it would be more of a worry to me than a pleasure till ive got more experience ( of course by the time im more experienced it will probably be gone, but hey ho, easy come easy go, somebody will enjoy it).
being a newbie too, id forgot id have space when i lifted my onions and garlic  :wacko:, also my perpetual spinich is beginning to bolt, so that will make space too. :happy:
my hubby is suprised that this is what ive decided, but he is too much of petrolhead to be a long term allotmenteer.  i just want to get this one right, and not have the worry of not having time to do them both properly. 

digalotty

i personally think you have made the right choice :)    to much of a burden will destroy your passion and you will start to feelover whelmed .there will always be something that wants doing on the plot you already have :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
 :)Well done - I think you have been very sensible about it! Wishing you all the success for this year with your plot  :D

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
thanks lulu and digalloty, i do think ive the right decision for a newbie on on her second year, i know i would have been overwhelmed by the new plot as it is even bigger than the one ive got which is pretty big by all accounts, and SO overgrown. 

thanks to everyone whos advice has been truly appreciated.  i have to remember that there is a life outside of my allotment which i feel would have been compromised.

xx
Excited, Plot 41 is mine!!

Started by srush on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 19:05
by srush
xx
Plot 89 is mine (photos)

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 15:15
by Michael D
xx
Trying not to get excited updated..... Plot number 9 is all mine!!! Yay

Started by janet12000 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 08:05
by BobandJack
xx
its all mine (what have i done lol)

Started by annie2006 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 22:45
by Bombers

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 35 queries.