Aldi Fruit Trees

• 4 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Aldi Fruit Trees
« on: February 24, 2012, 17:03 »
Hi All

I hope you've all kept well over the winter months.  Apart from digging not much has been happening on my plot but now I've return there and here so straight away it's Q time

My better half picked up an Braeburn Apple tree yesterday from Aldi (he is returning night hopefully to get a another suitable variety now we know it's better to have a second for pollunation  :nowink:

Does anyone out there have any experience in apple trees particularly from Aldi I do often wonder when something is cheap will it actually work!!??!!?

Regards
Marie

Wattsy

Re: Aldi Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 17:07 »
i bought a conference pear, doyenne du comice pear and red haven peach, just planted them all out the conference and the peach had ok roots but the doyenne du comice roots were rubbish just a couple of cut off thick ones and no fibrous roots at all. they can be a bit hit and miss but £3 odd each its worth a pop.

p.s. braeburn don't do as well in the uk they need a long hot summer to develop their proper flavour. same with granny smith and golden delicious
if a man who can't count finds a four-leaved clover is he lucky?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 20:37 »
We've had a lot of threads recently about the cheap fruit trees from lidl and aldi etc.  They are often fairly vigorous rootstocks and therefore have their drawbacks for use on an allotment plot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 20:40 »
i bought a conference pear, doyenne du comice pear and red haven peach, just planted them all out the conference and the peach had ok roots but the doyenne du comice roots were rubbish just a couple of cut off thick ones and no fibrous roots at all. they can be a bit hit and miss but £3 odd each its worth a pop.

p.s. braeburn don't do as well in the uk they need a long hot summer to develop their proper flavour. same with granny smith and golden delicious

I have had a Golden Delicious for 25 years and it gives a really good and juicy crop --  doesn't ripen unitl late October early November (The tree was moved from my parents' garden 25 yrs ago and is at least 35 yrs old )
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mparveen

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 21:37 »
I bought 4 apple and 1 peach from Aldi last year.  As we got our allotment in August (last year) I moved them from our back garden to there and was surprised that the peach survived the winter is already starting to bud and the apple trees are also thriving well.
A novice gardener and looking forward to getting seriously fit with my allotment!

The allotment is 16 ft wide and roughly 90 ft long split into 8 plots!

xx
Aldi Fruit Trees

Started by Trikidiki on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 19:37
by Trikidiki
xx
Aldi Fruit Trees ?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 19:56
by upert
xx
Fruit Trees at Aldi's Thurs 19th £4.18

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 17:19
by jolly jen
xx
More ALDI offers (fruit trees, cold frame and more) - Thursday 19th Feb

Started by Faz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 17:29
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 36 queries.