purple sprouting broccoli - how many is enough?

• 19 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 06:45 »
Quote from: "Annie"
I find 4 plants enough,those little heads just carry on coming,the trick is to make sure that  you have a crop waiting to go in that space in April and I  guarantee that your broccoli will not stop sprouting!

Do you mean another crop of sprouting brocoli?? small new plants?? or in another bed that will start sprouting when these have finsihed.. I'm sorry, it is early in the day!!

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 06:49 »
Oh and mine have realy surprised me with how big they are.. honestly they really do need 2-3 ft all round them, the leaves are massive, very pretty though, and make sure they are well firmed in the ground one of mine has fallen a bit, when it got so wet, as it is in a newly dug raised bed but has carried on growing in the right direction so that when I  got out to stmp it in a bit it wouldn't cos the weight was in the wrong direction IYSWIM!

anyway deffo loads of space.. my lesson is well learnt there!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 07:57 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Quote from: "Annie"
I find 4 plants enough,those little heads just carry on coming,the trick is to make sure that  you have a crop waiting to go in that space in April and I  guarantee that your broccoli will not stop sprouting!

Do you mean another crop of sprouting brocoli?? small new plants?? or in another bed that will start sprouting when these have finsihed.. I'm sorry, it is early in the day!!

I think it's the way Annie's written it. You would not follow a crop with the same crop. I think she means a different crop to fill the space, potatoes, or a bit later, runner beans etc.. April is too early to plant sprouters anyway.

Moral of the story - don't get up so early!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 07:58 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Oh and mine have realy surprised me with how big they are.. honestly they really do need 2-3 ft all round them, the leaves are massive, very pretty though, and make sure they are well firmed in the ground one of mine has fallen a bit, when it got so wet, as it is in a newly dug raised bed but has carried on growing in the right direction so that when I  got out to stmp it in a bit it wouldn't cos the weight was in the wrong direction IYSWIM!

anyway deffo loads of space.. my lesson is well learnt there!!

Yes, they certainly need space. I've had to stake some of mine in the past due to their size & weight.

Annie

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 10:19 »
Sorry to confuse,I will be needing the space the brocolli is in for potatoes and will be getting impatient in April but unwilling to dig up a productive plant!

xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 20:40
by Paul Plots
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 14:43
by Christine

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 35 queries.