making use of potato fruit

• 27 Replies

elas

making use of potato fruit
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:44 »
i've been told that it's possible to make a pesticide from potato fruit by expressing the solamine and chacomine glycoalkoloids. anyone ever tried this or have any thoughts on it's feesability ,benefits/dangers ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: making use of potato fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:49 »
Any substance obtained would not be legal to use, so will not be discussed on this forum, sorry.

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 15:50 »
The only legal way would be to use a catapult and fire 'em at the pests....

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 15:53 »
or put them in a spud gun....  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 16:05 »
Any substance obtained would not be legal to use, so will not be discussed on this forum, sorry.
Mumsie, please explain for us less educated.
What is the difference between making a nasty, stinky mix from rhubarb leaves containing oxalic acid which we spray on our Broad Beans etc and the above suggestion.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 16:17 »
The rhubarb spray is also illegal, Aidy  :(
Any substance that has not been thoroughly tested and licensed by the EU is illegal to use, so cannot be recommended by the forum.

It is of course up to you what you decide to do...we just prefer not to talk about it here   :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 16:30 »
Thank you

elas

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 17:14 »
ok thanks for the replies guys

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 18:02 »
So, on another thread where making your own compost from raw garden materials is being discussed, does the fact that it's not been tested by the EU mean we shouldn't discuss it? I can't see any difference in using material from the garden / veg beds used to further the success of growing plants whether the substance is used to spray on, dig in or grow in.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 18:06 »
The difference is that compost does not fall within the legal definition of a pesticide.  A pesticide includes anything used to control pests, funguses, weeds etc.

Anything used as a pesticide must have a licence (issued in UK, not the EU).  It is illegal to use anything not licensed, and thus we can't discuss unlicensed stuff on the forum.  What you choose to do at home is up to you but we can't endorse or condone stuff which is illegal.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

andy135

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 20:08 »
It is illegal to use anything not licensed, and thus we can't discuss unlicensed stuff on the forum.  What you choose to do at home is up to you but we can't endorse or condone stuff which is illegal.

Yorkie, where does it say that it is illegal to use anything which is unlicensed?
I thought it was illegal to sell anything which is unlicensed.
Home made medicines, treatment, remedies and cures for whatever are certainly not outlawed. What you prepare for your own use, and which has not been deemed to be a banned substance is not breaking the law.
I can't see a problem discusing home made solutions to a problem unless you were plotting bomb making.  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 20:19 »
Yorkie is totally correct in what she says

... it is illegal to use unlicensed products as pesticides

therefore the use of such home made products is not a topic for discussion on this reputable forum.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 20:21 »
Quote from RHS

"It is illegal to sell or use a non-approved substance as a pesticide, to repackage a pesticide in non-approved packaging or to use an approved pesticide for a non-approved purpose."

This would include washing up liquid, nicotine, rhubarb extract and anything else that is not included in the "approved" list.

andy135

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 20:30 »
Thank you. I must be headed for jail then as I washed my garden tools in washing up liquid and dettol as I have blight on my plot.  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 20:32 »
Any pesticide or herbicide without an EU licence is illegal for use in the UK and throughout the EU. They are illegal not because they are dangerous (although they could be!) but simply because they don't have a licence.

Obviously this applies mainly to the retailing of such products, and I doubt whether any private gardener has been prosecuted for spraying his broad beans with diluted Fairy liquid, but the fact remains that because they are unlicensed for use as garden pesticides/insecticides they are technically illegal!

What an individual chooses to do in his/her garden, or what anyone thinks of the law is entirely up to them, but Andy, please put yourself in (site owner) John's and the Mod's position before pushing it further!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 20:55 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Potato fruit

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:15
by themoog
xx
Potato plants from the top fruit

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 19:48
by Kathogur
xx
Potato plant 'fruit'

Started by MadAboutVeg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 23:01
by Paul Plots
xx
What Fruit Trees to grow after potato blight

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 16:27
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 34 queries.