When to lime?

• 9 Replies

Minty

• Experienced Member
When to lime?
« on: December 06, 2008, 16:41 »
Iv' got my brassica bed all dug and put in a load of well rotted manure but I know I need to lime the bed as our soil if very acidic,bought a big bag of lime from the plot shop today but I'm not sure when's best to add it?

I read in John's book that autumn is the best time but I missed that and the manure has only been on a week and everyone I asked today wasn't sure either.

penance

When to lime?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 17:01 »
Let the manure settle in for a month or 2, then you can rake in the lime with time let to let it settle.
I added lime to my brassica bed 2 weeks before planting this year and all was well.

Minty

• Experienced Member
When to lime?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 19:52 »
Thanks penance,Iv' still plenty of time then
 :D

penance

When to lime?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 20:05 »
I'm no expert and sure others will have more advice.

paintedlady

When to lime?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 03:07 »
If you had heavy claggy clay soil, then liming in autumn/winter will break it up nicely (process called flocculation) in time for spring sowing of crops such as carrots & parsnips.  However, for brassicas you want to raise the pH (and to inhibit clubroot which becomes more active when the weather & soil warms up) so doing that nearer planting time would be much better (in fact putting some lime in the planting hole and round the plant on the top of the soil to leach in during the growing season would be a much more efficient way of doing it than liming the entire bed which would quickly be neutralised by acidic soil)  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

fatbelly

When to lime?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 09:49 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
In fact putting some lime in the planting hole and round the plant on the top of the soil to leach in during the growing season would be a much more efficient way of doing it than liming the entire bed which would quickly be neutralised by acidic soil

This is the method an old timer uses on our site and he gets great brassicas every year.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Minty

• Experienced Member
When to lime?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 22:15 »
If you had heavy claggy clay soil, then liming in autumn/winter will break it up nicely (process called flocculation) in time for spring sowing of crops such as carrots & parsnips.  However, for brassicas you want to raise the pH (and to inhibit clubroot which becomes more active when the weather & soil warms up) so doing that nearer planting time would be much better (in fact putting some lime in the planting hole and round the plant on the top of the soil to leach in during the growing season would be a much more efficient way of doing it than liming the entire bed which would quickly be neutralised by acidic soil)  :wink:

Thanks for that Paintedlady,I now understand what I need to do. :D

paintedlady

When to lime?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:59 »
:oops:  :D  (blushing)

I know you were asking about the brassica bed, but I can also say that I have just harvested the bestest biggest unfanged (er, single) parsnips from a bed that had been heavily limed last year for growing my swedes (I have clubroot problems  :evil: ) and the soil when I dug it over in spring was amazingly loose.  I shall be trying this again next year to see if it was a technique worth copying or just sheer luck (also, I grew White Gem for the first time and I am very pleased with them)

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
When to lime?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:19 »
If you had heavy claggy clay soil, then liming in autumn/winter will break it up nicely

in fact putting some lime in the planting hole and round the plant on the top of the soil to leach in during the growing season would be a much more efficient way of doing it than liming the entire bed which would quickly be neutralised by acidic soil)  :wink:

I think i'll do both for my brassica bed then, get some in now,  and then when I plant my brassicas. I have heavy clay and club root. Pants!
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

Lynne

When to lime?
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 14:36 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
In fact putting some lime in the planting hole and round the plant on the top of the soil to leach in during the growing season would be a much more efficient way of doing it than liming the entire bed which would quickly be neutralised by acidic soil

This is the method an old timer uses on our site and he gets great brassicas every year.

I do this after being told about it by old timers on my site. 'A  spoonful of lime in every hole' and it works brilliantly, we've had great cabbages every season.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
To lime or not to lime ?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 24, 2015, 10:19
by Goosegirl
xx
lime

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 05:23
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
lime

Started by lego on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 08:43
by gobs

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 34 queries.