Excited, Plot 41 is mine!!

• 15 Replies

srush

« on: August 19, 2008, 22:16 »
Signed all the papers today and handed them in and popped down to the allotment to have a look. There is nothing on it at the moment, just weeds, but not as bad with weeds as I thought!

Its a full size plot, and if I am honest, it's bigger than I thought! (forgot the measuring tape, but as 30 foot by 30 foot so square!)

There is nothing on it (shed or green house wise) but my husband has a new shed to put up in our garden, so will have our current old one down there. He is going to knock a lean to up for me, with a seating area coming off the shed.

I want to do easy things for next year as I am new to this business, but am willing to learn.

I have already got a water butt and compost bin, and a few tools, but just need a strimmer at some point as it has only just been done.

We have got to ask permission to have chickens, so will ask for that soon, but if I am honest, I dont think we will get it, as it seems the plots with chickens are on the outside of the allotment, but our plot is in the middle. But am not fussed either way.

So now I dont know what else to do and where to put anything else.

Does anyone have any plans, or pictures of their plots so I can borrow some ideas please.?

Sorry for going on, but am so excited, but know it is going to be a lot of hard work!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 22:20 »
Hi :-)

So pleased for you! Mine is a plot 41 too,so I read this thread with a smile

I dont have any plans, only had mine since may so just dug and plonked some stuff in.  The only thing I do know (so far) was that Id always planned to have raised beds, but the soil is so good after not being used or growing for years, that I dont need them (yet!) So dont rush in, and check the quality of your soil first!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Scrubby

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 23:32 »
Brilliant news, congratulations!  I am just waiting for the papers to come through for my plot, which is a plot 42!

Wishing you very well for the future, keep us posted!  :D
Why so serious?

matron

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:30 »
Well done and good luck. Don't worry about filling it up, you will soon run out of room.  :lol:

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:46 »
Once you've got a shed and lean to and chickens 30x30 won't seem very big at all, you might even be looking for another plot!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:06 »
Great!! Whereabout are you??

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:48 »
Welcome to the world of allotmenteering.
Whitefly, sooty mould, carrot root fly, flea beetle, blackfly, mares tail, bindweed, couchgrass, too many courgettes, parsnips that don't germinate, bolting cauliflowers, caterpillars on your brassicas, club root.
....and the taste of beautiful fresh fruit and veg, worth every moment of effort and disappointment  :D

srush

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 14:11 »
Thanks for all the replies, looks like I have come to the right place for some advise!

My plot is on Tattenhoe in Milton Keynes. Its a big place, alot bigger than I thought.

I took some pictures of my plot yesterday so hope to get them on here this afternoon and see if anyone can give me some good ideas.

I am already growing bits at home as I already have a 6x6 green house with loads of bits init. I am still keeping it at home, but am planing on having a lean to on the shed.

Cant wait until the weekend to get stuck in!

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 16:27 »
You're not too far from me - I'm in Toddington (just off M1 J12) I will shortly have some spare Summer fruiting raspberry canes if you are interested......

M0rph3u5

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 16:37 »
this is a great web site for help with all sorts of things and in particular your question about planning the site

plenty to read and learn if you are interested:

h**p://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/tech/start3.htm

belto

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 17:47 »
I am in the first year of an allotment

Leeks have all run to seed
Onions, tops burnt out
Pigeons started eating cabbages and swede tops

Great life

I thought there was something wrong with my Swedes they were funny tasting and then I realized that's how Swede should taste.Far greater depth of taste. Just think of all the nutrients and minerals not lost through light and heat
Also easy to cut, unlike super market produce

My cabbages are fantastic just a little boil and their cooked

Just planted January King, Spring cabbage & Broccoli, all protected against Pigeons
Now to reinforce my shed against winter winds and organize  water supply from shed roof.

digalotty

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 19:12 »
hi,if you go in to general gardening forum  you will find pics of tugsays lotty, and im sure you will agree a perfect speciman to nick ideas from .  
i will do the same as a new plotter myself  ,  so happy digging
    :D
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 19:17 »
Congratulations.  

I also have just signed the tenancy agreement for my allotment and I am going to take it back tomorrow when my dad has signed (we are having it as joint tenants as I am not really entitled to it as I dont live in the town - I am just under 1 mile away!)

Ours is also quite weedy but we are intending on tackling it this weekend.  We are lucky and have a shed, greenhouse, loads of water butts and 3 compost heaps on it.

I dont know how big it is - we will measure it this weekend.  I forgot to take the camera today but will get some photos later this week.

Good luck.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

srush

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 21:40 »
Thanks again for all the replies. I have got some photos, the first lot where no good, so had to go back down to the plot today lol

Just not sure how to put pictures on here, anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 23:33 »
Look at this thread for posting piccies
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Trying not to get excited updated..... Plot number 9 is all mine!!! Yay

Started by janet12000 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 08:05
by BobandJack
xx
the plot next to me is mine if i want it, shall i take it??????????

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 20:40
by rachelsco
xx
Plot 89 is mine (photos)

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 15:15
by Michael D
xx
its all mine (what have i done lol)

Started by annie2006 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 22:45
by Bombers

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 28 queries.