Anyone grow corn salad? Also known as Lamb's Lettuce, Fetticus, and Mache.

• 2 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
I vaguely recall reading about this plant before but have never grown it or eaten it.  It seems like it would mostly be a cold-weather green here.  www.reimerseeds.com carries it, and that company is likely who I will order from this year.

Is it a better raw salad green or as a cooked green?  Easy or difficult to grow? 

In the spring, would it tolerate partial shade?  I doubt I would grow it later than April, when tree leaves are still small. Most likely I would plant in the fall (early to late September, leaves would still be on the trees, but still potentially hot until mid October).

Thanks for any information.

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

I grew it when I still had the polytunnel, and sowed it in the early autumn, for a winter/early spring salad crop, I've never cooked it. It made a small head of leaves - the whole plant no bigger than about 4 or 5 ins across, so you need a lot of plants to make more than just the occasional salad ;) It is mild tasting, easy, but quite slow growing and spring shade would help, it didn't like it here, once the tunnel warmed up.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator

I grew it when I still had the polytunnel, and sowed it in the early autumn, for a winter/early spring salad crop, I've never cooked it. It made a small head of leaves - the whole plant no bigger than about 4 or 5 ins across, so you need a lot of plants to make more than just the occasional salad ;) It is mild tasting, easy, but quite slow growing and spring shade would help, it didn't like it here, once the tunnel warmed up.

Thanks! If I do go ahead and purchase, it will likely be a small crop, added to a salad that is mostly other greens.  Something to give a salad a little variety.

xx
Lambs lettuce or Mache

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 18:11
by Growster...
xx
Corn salad?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 19:09
by mumofstig
xx
Why Can't I grow Salad Indoors ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 23:00
by viettaclark
xx
Salad onions - what do you grow?

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2014, 20:13
by gobs

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 39 queries.