I'm choosing next year's tomato varieties. Any suggestions?

• 39 Replies

chumpy7

Re: I'm choosing next year's tomato varieties. Any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 10:40 »
Buy some Santini tomatoes from Marks and Spencer and save / dry the seeds.Best tasting grape tomato since Santa became unavailable.
                     regards Mick

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 11:49 »
Thanks Fisherman I like the sound of Lizzano F1 just ordered some from Premier.
Hopefully they will resist the blight if it returns next year. I think this year the heat protected us!
Keep digging

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 15:16 »
Mentioned elsewhere, but new to my list and definitely staying on it, is Cherry Baby. (As photo). Another permanent fixture is Scotland Yellow.
299812020_10228174250240774_2129884911141831898_n.jpg
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 02:53 »
I finally narrowed my list down to a half dozen:

Two are going to be early-season and late-season tomatoes that produce quickly and a little more tolerant of cool weather:
   - 42-day Tomato,  Early-producing, cold-tolerant cherry, determinate plants.  Can be container-grown, so an option for a late-season tomato grown in a container or two.

- Stupice, cold-tolerant early indeterminate potato-leaf type, small to medium salad tomatoes.

Goliath Bush  Early, reputedly produces medium to large beefsteak tomatoes on a determinate plant 24 to 36 inches tall, also suitable for containers.

Main season:
   - Purple Ukraine (recommended by some of you), large purple plum-shaped.
   - Hawaiian Pineapple Large beefsteak, yellow with some pink, fruity (compared to pineapple).
   - Marmande Also recommended by some of you, red beefsteak.

All of the above are recommended for their flavor.  Other than container plants, I will likely grow just 2 or 3 of each of these this season.  I'm also sharing some of the seeds with my sister in Indiana.  I will leave enough seeds for the next season or two.

Many of your other recommendations I have saved for another year, though I can't find a few of them in the USA (such as Dívčí Prs;  no luck with Orange Russian either).

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 03:02 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 13:41 »
we are trying blooming Butcher and Black Opal from premiere not grown either before both will go in greenhouse??
from bow like to grow

missmoneypenny

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 17:26 »
I’ve done Black Russians since the beginning - about 10 years. But it seems to me they are getting less flavourful. Last year I planted some Costolutto Fiorentino plantlets in pots in my yard, a I was scared of blight at the allotment, after 2021’s washout. They were great, really flavourful beefsteak style and I am going to do them again this year, in pots and in the ground.

Christine

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 19:00 »
Did Black Opal last year. As small tomatoes go - jolly good.Going back to Tigerella this year. Not done them for a year or two.

Odders

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 22:15 »
I see Remier stock Sungold cherry tomatoes.
It's an indeterminate & IMO superb tasting cherry tomato.
I usually get my first pickings around the second week in July (greenhouse grown) & from early August to late September get 3-4kg a week from 5 plants. Usually finished by mid October.
Alicante is a good, standard tomato, well flavoured & medium sized.
No idea on beefsteaks, as I've never grown them.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 05:30 »
All of the new comments are helping me build a list of varieties to grow in the future!  :lol:

I'm happy to report that I received my seeds from Reimer's today.  Each tomato seed packet contains at least double the 20 seeds / pkt. promised for the price.  There are well over 100 seeds of Stupice in that packet!  The same is true for Marmande.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 12:12 »
sorry should read blooming Butcher.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 12:25 »
Not to worry Steven, you aren't going mad, the Forum software alters some words that could be deemed offensive. That's what is happening to the 'Blood-y' part of your tomato name  :lol: :lol:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 17:43 »
Not to worry Steven, you aren't going mad, the Forum software alters some words that could be deemed offensive. That's what is happening to the 'Blood-y' part of your tomato name  :lol: :lol:

"That word" is confusing for us on this side of the pond.  We really only know that it seems to be a word used for emphasis over there, and considered impolite.  Over here, it is not really used, except when talking about a wound (for example), and it is generally neither considered rude or polite  ???.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 18:00 »
Not trying to be a downer Subversive, but have you seen the reviews for Reiner seeds? - they’re not exactly stellar. Maybe you should buy some from another brand too as back up.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 20:51 »
Not trying to be a downer Subversive, but have you seen the reviews for Reiner seeds? - they’re not exactly stellar. Maybe you should buy some from another brand too as back up.

I hadn't looked for reviews, TBH.  I did after your post, not good.:dry:  I appreciate you looking at something that I probably should have checked, so thank you.  I will say that their website says "under new management", maybe that will mean something?

However, I will reserve judgement until I have tried to use the seeds, which I have already received.  I'm chitting a few tomato seeds for plants going into pots/container growing, we will see what happens.  Watch this space!

Added later: I do have other seed sources locally, just not for things like heirloom tomatoes.  I can make do with the usual ho-hum varieties, probably not placing more seed orders this year.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 21:21 by Subversive_plot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2023, 19:47 »

I hadn't looked for reviews, TBH.  I did after your post, not good.:dry:  I appreciate you looking at something that I probably should have checked, so thank you.  I will say that their website says "under new management", maybe that will mean something?

However, I will reserve judgement until I have tried to use the seeds, which I have already received.  I'm chitting a few tomato seeds for plants going into pots/container growing, we will see what happens.  Watch this space!

Well, I chitted four seeds each of Stupice, Goliath Bush, and 42-day on January 18th.  So far, I have four seeds of 42-day that have germinated, three of Goliath Bush, but none of the Stupice yet (but it is still early).  So, not a complete flop in terms of germination.  Possibly the high number of Stupice seeds sent reflects a lower expected germination rate?

Since my sister really wants some of the Marmande and Hawaiian Pineapple, I am chitting some of those before I mail any seeds to her.  In exchange, I'm getting some Coeur de Boeuf and Gargamel seeds from her! :)

xx
Choosing potato varieties is so difficult

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2019, 15:33
by Aidy
xx
Suggestions on varieties of raspberries

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 18:50
by beansticks
xx
Choosing potatoes for next year: blight

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 06:29
by arugula
xx
Anybody any suggestions as to what this Tomato is?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 17:24
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 55 queries.