Abrupt end to strawberries?

• 6 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Abrupt end to strawberries?
« on: July 04, 2022, 12:10 »
Good afternoon everyone,  had a disapointing short break on the Mont' & Brecon canal.  Too overgrown, too windey and too shallow. But the boat was well appointed.

Now to my queary,  my strawberries seem to have come to an abrupt end to the cropping, is this normal? still throwing out runners though. :)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

Re: Abrupt end to strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 13:23 »
Think it depends on the variety tbh & how old the plants are, you might find that if you chop everything off, they might give you a smaller 2nd crop. Were they new plants this year & if so when did you plant them?
Just as an aside I bought plants from Lidl 3 or 4 years back 6 for £2.99 I think they were x 4 varieties & was they have been fantastic plants & beautiful fruits. I would certainly recommend them if they come up for sale again. I planted them in late spring shortly after buying them ( haven’t seen them this year but I don’t go quite as often so may of missed them) & I assiduously removed all flowers that year & it really paid off as they’ve made big plants. 1 variety was korona & 1 Osaka I believe & another was I think Elsanta. I’ve got it written down somewhere.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 13:30 »
Good afternoon everyone,  had a disapointing short break on the Mont' & Brecon canal.  Too overgrown, too windey and too shallow. But the boat was well appointed.

Now to my queary,  my strawberries seem to have come to an abrupt end to the cropping, is this normal? still throwing out runners though. :)

Mine have done the same.  They went from being too many to cope with to barely anything at all.  I might well be, as Snowdrops has said, the varieties, but this is their third year and I've never had quite such an abrupt end to cropping.  Ah well, roll on the raspberries.

Cheers,  Tony.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 14:15 »
The strawbs were third time runners, by which I mean the strawbs were originally three years old and I propogated runners discarding the original plants and carried out this same procedure once more planted this years runners early.

Cheers,   Tony.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 15:14 »
In that case KW I’d think they have fruited as much as they can for young plants & it has been unseasonably dry. After all a plant only flowers & fruits to reproduce itself. If you take any more runners for another bed or to increase supply try my new earlier advice & allow them to make a larger plant before allowing them to fruit, do it as  an experiment & draw your own conclusions to what works best for you, your soil & & conditions. After all what works for one of us doesn’t necessarily work for another  :lol:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 17:56 »
Mine seem to have stopped too and I think it is due to the hot dry weather this year.
Keep digging

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 18:59 »
Mine are mostly Elsanta and although I picked a decent amount a couple of days ago, there didn’t seem to be many left to ripen.

xx
Strawberries

Started by Andy J on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 20:01
by gobs
xx
strawberries

Started by mower man on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 17:49
by sonnycbr
question
what Strawberries shall I get?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 11:42
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Strawberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 08:44
by vet

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 45 queries.