Leeks

• 20 Replies

AndyRVTR

Re: Leeks
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 08:41 »
I, too, have quite a lot of pencil thin leeks still out there. Should I just leave them or have they done as much as they going to? I've also had quite a number of decent leeks. All same make, if only I knew what.

I read an article the other day that basically said that "leeks are a 'Winter' vegetable and they should grow steadily throughout Autumn and Winter to produce a crop in 'the hungry gap' when all other veg are long gone".
There are different types of leeks, early, mid & late, so depending on what type you have they would mature at different times of the year, most leeks take anywhere between 80-120 days to fully grow.
On a side note, as an experiment, two weeks ago I popped a toilet roll tube over the leaves of one of my leeks and then pulled the soil up near to the top of the tube, the leaves have since grown and got taller, I'm presuming that the stem is blanching & growing more?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 09:56 »
Yes, they do carry on growing unless the weather is really very cold.
They were always a winter crop, after all, before breeders started fiddling with them   :lol: so choose a variety that suits you, harvest date-wise. When I had room, I used to grow an early and a late variety.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 16:31 »
Mine are Musselburgh also, biggest is probably about 1.25 inch, rest an inch maybe. started off in late Feb in deep tray as advised on here, planted out when they were less than pencil thickness as they didn't seem to be getting there. My plot neighbours leeks are huge, he said the ground was heavily manured previously, maybe thats it?
Just an update on my leeks this year, didn't turn out too bad, a lot better than in previous years. Although these are the bigger ones in the crop - see pics. The ground is very claggy, so I'm adding horse manure all over this year, to try and improve the soil, maybe be better next season hopefully!
Leeks.jpg
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 16:32 by bobbyt »

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 21:16 »
For what it’s worth , l have grown Oarsman F1 for the last couple of years.
Mine were not quite as huge as Musselburgh , but the flavour , in my opinion was far superior.  :)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 08:07 »
I pulled my remaining leeks last week and they had 'fattened' up since I first posted about them. The one that I put a loo roll around had grown considerably and was a good 2" across but I've opted for a different variety this year. Istead of musselburgh I've gone with blue de solais, apparently a vigorous great tasting Leek that also stands very well over winter. Seeds have already been sown, so fingers crossed I'll have a better crop this year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 09:36 »
For what it’s worth , l have grown Oarsman F1 for the last couple of years.
Mine were not quite as huge as Musselburgh , but the flavour , in my opinion was far superior.  :)
Oarsman here too, and I have been very happy with both size and flavour BUT

Looking this year through the wealth of seed catalogues pouring through my door, I am shocked at how much the price of seeds has risen.

With Oarsman, there are 50 seeds in a packet for £2.79
However, Elefant, which I also like  a lot ad has proved successful, is 500 seeds for £2.49, and as the seeds are still viable the following year (and sometime the third too), give, shale we say, food for thought alright!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Leeks

Started by Roll Roll on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 16:29
by barney rubble
xx
pot leeks

Started by ian30 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 09:56
by compostqueen
xx
Leeks

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 23:05
by JohnB47
xx
Leeks

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 10:59
by corynsboy

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 46 queries.