Jostaberry...

• 22 Replies

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
Re: Jostaberry...
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19 »
As mentioned elsewhere I was given a £20 voucher for my local plant nursery for Christmas

Went for a visit on Saturday and came away with a jostaberry plant amongst other things which went into my plot the same afternoon

The 6 ft spread mentioned above has thrown me a bit as the nursery said it's spread would be 4 ft maximum   :nowink: I guess this can change depending on its original descendants from either plant?

Anyway it is going to form part of a sort of edible hedge so not too worried if it gets a bit of tangle action on the go! Will take a couple of pics next time I'm at the plot

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 07:35 »
We're going to be near a largish GC today, Jamrock, and will poke around among the fruit bushes!

Someone here (not this post), wanted an edible heage recently, so I hope they see this!

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 07:37 »
27 blackcurrants :ohmy: You will turn purple!
According to 'wiki', jostaberries first became generally available in 1977, so although relatively new, hopefully that is long enough to prove that they are worth growing. The other thing I read somewhere is that they are always thornless - if this is true they will be nicer to pick than gooseberries! :)
I think now is perfect planting time, most of the nurseries are posting them out now anyway.
As for cuttings I am going to have to try and have a go - I have not successfully grown anything from a cutting yet (having said that I could count on my fingers how many things I have tried!), they are next on my learning curve and I will master it! :)

Purple is this year's colour, Ann!

It's just that they take so little maintenance, and in a good year they repay such dividends, that Summer pudding can become Winter pudding, so you can remember what it's like!

allotmentann

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 13:20 »
Summer pudding in winter sounds good to me. I hope to be doing the same next year. :)

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 19:34 »
I have 1 jostaberry bush, i keep it pruned to about 2ft by 4ft, the fruits make the best jam ever, its 1 fruit bush i could not do without.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 22:01 »
I have 1 jostaberry bush, i keep it pruned to about 2ft by 4ft, the fruits make the best jam ever, its 1 fruit bush i could not do without.
great hoping to plant mine next week
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 22:04 »

Very happy to hear that Richy, mine should fill its intended space very nicely  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 05:46 »
Blast!

Mrs G and I were in the very place where I intended to look for one yesterday, and completely forgot to look...;0(

We were looking around and spotted the one specific gooseberry we were after (Xenia), and were so pleased with ourselves, we got the new seeds we wanted at half price, and wandered off into the sunset with a glazed expression, completely forgetting to look for the one bush they'd surely have had lurking at the back...

xx
JOSTABERRY HELP

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 22:40
by tode
xx
jostaberry

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 22:37
by new_2_veg
xx
Jostaberry

Started by brianh on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 15:09
by brianh
xx
Jostaberry

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 17:04
by gobs

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 40 queries.