Rotovating Advice & Help

• 6 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Rotovating Advice & Help
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:49 »
Hi everyone,

On my allotment I have a number of raised beds that were already there when I took it on and have dug over a number of areas.  However, I am now thinking of just rotovating the remaining area of overgrown land.  The patch is covered in weeds and is uneven.

I am aware that rotovating can spread the weeds and also cause some drainage problems if soil is compacted below.  However, I thought if I rotovate I can then build large beds and surrounding paths.  Drainage and weeds wouldn't be a problem on the paths because I will be covering with plastic and woodchips.  As for the beds, well I will pull out the weeds that have been cut up, then start building up inside the bed with compost and soil.  Before doing so I would fork over the bottom which would help make sure good drainage.

So I thought rotovating would not cause too many problems in this context and would allow me to tidy up and prepare the area, and enable me to level it as there are lots of dips and bumps.

What do you think?  Does what I am saying make sense?  Only problem I can forsee is that when I go below a spit of a spade the soil can be quite clay like - does this type of soil cause problems when rotovating?

grendel

Re: Rotovating Advice & Help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 13:04 »
if it was me I would give it a go, but you might want to hand dig and de-weed as well. I rotovate my plot every year, but then spend forever weeding too, the area I hand dug this year still has weeds, but not as many, as do the areas I have grown potatoes, if you are just after a quick fix and are prepared to do the work later then I would say go for it, but do be prepared to pay by extra weeding later.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 13:27 »
Well I guess that's what I was thinking - where the beds will be Ill hand pull the cut up weeds, will dig over a bit, add compost, soil, manure.  Then like with the other beds, I will just keep on top of it by hand weeding.  Everyone has horse tail on my allotments pretty much, so most just pull these when they appear as opposed to trying to eradicate through digging.

But what about some of the soil being quite sticky? Will I still be able to rotovate?  I guess there is only way to find out!

grendel

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 13:54 »
if the soil is very sticky it might help to let it dry out a bit first, but if you use a heavyish duty rotovator it should cope (mine is a 3hp and I have to wait until it a bit dryer).
Grendel

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 16:57 »
Personally I wouldn't rotavate if you have as many weeds as you describe, unless you're prepared to leave the beds fallow for the rest of the season so you can keep hoiking out the new weeds?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 17:46 »
If you are building raised bed's why not install weed fabric and place the top soil / compost on top. You could use a good weedkiller first.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 22:17 »
Personally I wouldn't rotavate if you have as many weeds as you describe, unless you're prepared to leave the beds fallow for the rest of the season so you can keep hoiking out the new weeds?

Yeah, that what we were thinking of doing - rotovating, covering up for a while, build the beds, dig over, clear weeds, and then next year plant.  Thanks for the help.

xx
Rotovating

Started by Digger Parsnip on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 17, 2006, 09:05
by John
xx
Rotovating

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 17:31
by allotment south wales
xx
Rotovating Q's please.

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 13:39
by vineweevil1
xx
Rotovating question

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2006, 20:59
by Ice

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 38 queries.